You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Grid on/off?

6 hours ago, Dimitrios said:

In version 1 it was possible to toggle on/off grid with ctrl+". In version 2 NOT any more, you have to go in "view>grid & axis>... deselect "automatic" and select "basic" every time that you open a new photo. 

Please fix it, thanks.

I duplicated this issue on macOS, too.

v1: Start Photo. If grid is off choose View > Show Grid. The grid appears. In Grid and Snapping Axis, the Mode is set to Automatic.

v2: Start Photo. If grid is off choose View > Show Grid. Nothing happens. In Grid and Snapping Axis, the Mode is set to Automatic. The only way to get the grid to show is to change from Automatic to Basic or to choose a Preset.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

The Automatic Grid, as discussed elsewhere, is now a Pixel grid. It has no visible effect until you're zoomed into your image far enough that the individual grid squares (pixels) would be visible.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

I'm happy to confirm that the latest beta version, Affinity Photo 2.3.0.2114 has made the following improvements:

1. The default behaviour of View > Show Grid has been returned to match Affinity Photo V1's behaviour - meaning the 'Automatic' Grid will be applied, which changes the frequency of grid subdivisions as you zoom in/zoom out.

2. A new separate Pixel Grid option is available in all Affinity apps, under View > Show Pixel Grid. You can  find out more about this feature here .

If you wish to test these changes, you can sign up for our beta program using the information below:

Many thanks for your feedback here, as it helps us to continue to improve the Affinity Suite :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sapfromcornwall said:

How do I turn off the grid at default level rather than each time i load a photo?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but for me (on Windows, at least), these two options in View > Grid and Axis... seem to be remembered across documents and sessions. As are the basic View > Grid and View > Show Pixel Grid options.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

26 minutes ago, Sapfromcornwall said:

Sorry should have explained a bit better! After loading version 2.3, every time I import a photo, the grid is on. I have to go to View, Grid to turn it off again. I just wanted to find it a Setting existed to leave the grid view off.

That does not happen for me (on Windows, as I said). The on/off setting from the View menu is maintained.

What kind of photos (file-type) are you importing, how are you doing that, where are you importing them from, and what kind of OS do you use?

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, Sapfromcornwall said:

If I load in a number of files it always puts the grid on.

How are you loading them in. What OS do you use?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @Sapfromcornwall :)

29 minutes ago, Sapfromcornwall said:

I am on Mac (Sonoma 14.2) and using File open, highlight a number of files and open them.

I've tested this using both .JPG and .afphoto files on macOS Sonoma, and I'm seeing the following behaviour:

• When opening a JPEG (or other image file) the last known state will be used for these View > Show Grid / Show Pixel Grid options - for example if you open one image and enable both View options, then close this image and open 5 more images, all 5 will be opened with the options enabled.

• When opening an .afphoto file, the last saved state for that file will be used - the .afphoto format recalls if the View > Grid option was enabled on a file by file basis, so if you disable the View options, save, close and reopen the same file you should find these remain disabled.

If you're still uncertain or seeing different behaviour from the above, can you please provide a screen recording showing the exact steps you're taking?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me - it may be due to the document not fully rendering in the time it takes to open these files, but it appears in your recording that the first document opened does not have the grid enabled:image.png

However I can then see it is enabled for the final document that opens: 

image.png

As above, if you disable this View > Show Grid setting for this specific document, then save, close and reopen the file - does the Grid remain disabled as expected?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
32 minutes ago, Dan C said:
  • When opening an .afphoto file, the last saved state for that file will be used - the .afphoto format recalls if the View > Grid option was enabled on a file by file basis, so if you disable the View options, save, close and reopen the same file you should find these remain disabled.

It will depend entirely on the last used state for that specific .afphoto file, as I confirmed above

Please note -

Many thanks!