You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File associations and opening of version 2 Affinity apps

I've done a search on this in the forums but cannot find any other post where a user experiences this problem!

First, within Windows Settings>Default apps I have APh version 2 set as the default app to open such files, see screenshot below:

image.jpeg.55938eab76be56c1564fddc216960ab1.jpeg

However, clicking on any .jpg file saved on my computer produces this error message:

image.jpeg.62f7c7adc6d70fac716c9cf805c9d0a4.jpeg

(Clearly, I hope, I was trying to open the particular file used as an example!  The error message always refers directly to the file I have actually clicked on!)

I have spent numerous hours trying to resolve this problem.  The Windows Event Viewer seems to suggest an error in RuntimeBroker but that is as far as i have been able to go to solving this!

So, any and all ideas very gratefully received!  If I reset the default to APh v1, the files open as expected.  I wonder if i have to wait until the .exe versions of the installers are released?

TIA

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

It works fine for me, Jeff. Did you do a standard install of Photo 2 (just running the MSIX) file, or some custom and possibly unsupported method?

Also, just on a wild guess: Do you have SQL Server installed on your machine?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the install of all the Version 2 apps was to their default (WindowsApps) locations.

And yes, SQL Server is installed, apparently (according to a file search of my computer), in both Microsoft Office and various versions of the NET framework.

I just tested this again, but selecting APh v2 beta (via Open with..), same result!

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

2 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

And yes, SQL Server is installed,

In that case, perhaps this FAQ applies, even though it's about problems during installation?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your latest reply, and apologies for the delay in responding.

Apparently my installation of NET framework is fully up to date.  I even tried to (re)install version 4.8 and the installer told me that either it or a newer version was "already installed"!

I think I may have to reset the Default App for image formats to APh 1, at least for the time being.

Sorry; I think I was mixing two ideas.

The FAQ I meant to suggest was this one, specifically related to SQL server though with a different error message:

-- Walt
PC: