You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shortcut for flow rate for brush

The only thing that is stopping me from moving my production to Affinity is its lack of a shortcut to control the flow rate on the brush. I change it too often to have to go to the slider value to make this adjustment.

I find that for matte painting, the flow rate is far more important than the transparency value. My reasons for thinking this are outlined in my Wiki page here...

http://opticalenquiry.com/photoshop/index.php?title=Painting#Flow_rate_vs_transparency

Once this issue is addressed, I can recommend affinity to all my students, as well as adopting it in my own work.

Hi Asha... there is already a flow slider. But having to constantly tweak it slows down the act of painting tremendously. I know other painters that feel as strongly about being able to control the transparency rate with numbers keys. This is something that AP already has. 

In PS the default is that number keys control transparency. When the 'build up' button is activated in brush settings, the number keys then control the flow. 

Broadly I would say that Illustrators prefer the transparency setting, whilst matte painters (i.e. photo real) prefer the flow setting. 

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, TheDude94 said:

Hello guys, 

with [number] I can control opacity, but shift+[number] does not work to control flow. Am I doing something wrong?

Windows 10 (latest update) - Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703

I came here looking for a shortcut to control flow - I've now discovered on a Mac that Control + number controls the flow. Not sure what it is on Windows.