You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo's edit in Designer does not work, same goes for Affinity Designer

How do you perform your installs? Do you run the MSIX files, as intended, or do you use an alternative, unsupported installation method?

Do both applications show that they are 2.0.3 when they start (or in the Account dialog)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. No other ideas, then, on what might cause your problem. Sorry. Hope someone else has something.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sure here you go,

Wintab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
Wintab: Failed to create tablet context
Content migration already offered previously
Attempting to create Direct3D device on default adapter
Setting screen DPI to 113.413953488372 (scale = 1.25)
ExternalApp: *** starting Edit In... app search for Designer ***
ExternalApp: *** app search for Designer failed ***
ExternalApp: *** starting Edit In... app search for Publisher ***
ExternalApp: *** app search for Publisher failed ***
Exit

It seems it is having issues to load the Wintab driver. Is there a chance that the pen tablet service would be down? (in Windows Services). 

I would check that the very first.

Secondly, if unable to solve anything by  that path  (specially after restarting Windows) , you would still have the option to use "Windows  Ink" (typically in "projection tab", in the Wacom panel, surely similar with other brands) , for that app's profile in  the tablet panel.  Or in the generic options of  the tablet panel, if  you don't customize per app. And then, of course setting Windows Ink as input method, in Affinity's preferences/tools.

Heck, might even work setting Windows Ink, and then back to "high precision" (what I am using right now, for other reasons, this is my new favorite). As it might "revive" the situation with wintab. But probably won't, if the tablet driver's service is down for some reason.

A complete uninstall of the tablet driver, and re-install with a recent driver (for your specific tablet) could be a good way to address the situation.

Now, how this could affect "edit in x Affinity app", no idea. Probably it doesn't, it just might be two separate problems (or not).

Edit: Indeed, it appears that is not finding the paths...  I don't know if this happens if  you moved after installed the apps to a different disk/drive. I myself tend to address these issues by fully uninstalling the 3 apps and installing again.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

The log is just telling us that it failed, not why - at least not that I can see.

I think SrPx's suggestion of doing a clean install of all the apps is worth a go if you haven't already. Also, creating a new user and installing all 3 apps to see if they talk to each other might be worth doing because it will identify an issue with the existing user profile. I'm not offering that as a solution, it's just to see if the existing user profile has an issue.