You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush bug

MartinL

Hi.

I get this annoying bug when using the paint brush. I made a macro for my logo and in this photo, the brush (for my logo) is not selected (the last one) but still being applied. Also, any way to unselect a brush when we're done? Because when I reselect the paint brush and want to include or remove elements when joining two photos, it applies the logo/brush instead.

Also, when cropping a photo and then applying my logo, the logo is somehow cropped too.

I found out I can ctrl+left click to unselect a brush but the bug still persist.

Edited (message).

Affinity Photo 2.jpg

28 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Also, any way to unselect a brush when we're done

You deselect a brush by selecting another one, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yep, I think so, too. You select a new brush and then you will be using that one. But there might be a small bug.

[ Off topic:  You can (double click on any brush on the list, to permanently set its  properties and behavior) link a tool in such settings dialog/window. In the "general" tab, last drop-down item. If you click to deploy that, you can set what tool gets triggered just when clicking on the brush of  the list. IE, if you want a  brush for cloning (you can have several for several ways of cloning, etc), you can do so, and clicking on the brush on the list will swap you to clone tool, in your cursor. Now, is not exactly what you asked, but might help you to make a workflow that works for you. ]

But what you mention might be a bug. Sometimes, when selecting a new brush from the brush list, it does not take the new brush, you keep painting with the one you were using before clicking another. This gets solved by just clicking again on it, or several times (just not as fast as double clicking, or you'd trigger the brush properties dialog).

The bug happens rarely (but often enough to replicate it in 2 minutes), often when having painted more than one stroke. And is (temporarily)  fixed how I said.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

21 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I want to completely unselect a brush (those on the right of the screen) not select a new one. Even with ctrl+left-click, the brush is unselected but I can still paint that brush. ☹️

You can't deselect a brush like you want. Why not just pick a different Tool if you don't want to paint any more?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can't deselect a brush like you want. Why not just pick a different Tool if you don't want to paint any more?

What tool do you use when merging two photos and you want to show some elements of one photo into the other?

The paint brush right (shortcut b)?

9 hours ago, MartinL said:

What tool do you use when merging two photos and you want to show some elements of one photo into the other?

The paint brush right (shortcut b)?

Yes, but you do not need to deselect the current brush. You just choose the one you want. That's something you need to do for each of the tools that have Brush in their name.

-- Walt
PC:

I am curious as to what you want the various Brush tools to do if they had no actual brush selected. Their raison d'être is to paint.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but you do not need to deselect the current brush. You just choose the one you want. That's something you need to do for each of the tools that have Brush in their name.

Except I can't since there's a bug.

6 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Except I can't since there's a bug.

What bug? You haven't explained that, yet. You've said it applies the logo brush instead, but you have not explained your workflow completely.

For example, where in the work you've described did you select the brush that you want to use?

-- Walt
PC: