You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 focus merge extremely slow

krbo

latest Win10, latest V2, latest Nvidia drivers

Focus stacking in V2 is horribly slow compared to V1 - watched Task Manager and Resource Monitor trying to detect why is it so slow

First is disk reading - V2 starts less then 10 instances and read disk very slow - max at 5Mbit/s of only one picture, other threads are much slower - even 40k/sec

V1 starts more then 30 (maybe even 50) instances and reading goes up 20Mbit/s at fastest threads

180 50Mb BMP files V1 reads, I would dare to say, at least 10 times faster then V2 reads 120 of them

I estimate that just loading of 120 BMPs in V2 takes more then a half an hour and then alignment and merge starts (also with much less instances then V1)

In V2 alignment/merge processes are also slow - using also very small number of threads/instances of photo and system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Using 50 odd JPG files, 78 seconds in V1 vs 81 seconds in V2. So for me, the timing was negligible. I ceretainly appreciate that BMP files are bigger and you did more of them so those timings will likely grow even more different. 

I disabled OpenCL and got 80 seconds in V2 so it's not HA driven.

Repeating now with TIFF and ORF and will report back (it's going to take a while).

• Staff

TIFF V2 OpenCL on - 1m 21s

TIFF V2 OpenCL off - 1m 23s

TIFF V1 - 1m 12s

TIFF V2 OpenCL re-enabled - 1m 14s

-----------

ORF V2 - 11m 2s

ORF V1 - 8m 30s

I didn't bother changing OpenCL for V1 as it didn't seem to affect anything in V2. Also, due to the amount of time the ORF files took, I only did one run but a 2-3m difference is significant. 

So as I suspected, the bigger the files in mb, the bigger the gap will be. I think this is enough evidence to submit a bug report. 

problem is too low resources (file handles/workers/threads at once) used by V2 in reading files from disk.

I will try to make some screen grabs of resource monitor to better illustrate problem and post here later.

thanks for your efforts Chris!

Just made a test to grab some screens.

This time 50 bmp pictures @50Mb each

Just loading them as sources in Photo:

V2 tooks 7 minutes

V1 tooks 4 minutes (it will be faster but I restarted PC to clear caches and that's why is Eset antivirus hooked to each bmp (ekrn.exe))

and now look screenshots of resource monitor while Photo is loading them

V2 opens just 4 at a time while V1 more then ten. Now compare reading speeds: V2 maxed shortly up to 6Mbit/s while V1 exceeds 15Mbit/s  with some instances of photo.exe

V2_stack.JPG

V1_stack.JPG