You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can not open Panasonic lumix s5m2 raw file.

edwardl

• Staff

Thanks for attaching it. It seems it's not just Affinity that is struggling to open the raw file. I tried Photoshop after updating Camera Raw and that doesn't either. We may have to wait for the databases to update to include the necessary support I'm afraid:

Photoshop:

image.png

Affinity:

image.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't mean to sound impatient but just curious if there is an update coming soon (and how soon?) to support S5II RAW? I'm hoping to not have to pay the dark overlords for their software as I'm an Affinity fan.

Thank you kindly

Hi @Zorlofe and welcome!

Serif developers have no control over how quickly camera models are added to LibRAW library.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

4 hours ago, Zorlofe said:

Thanks for the welcome and reply @Komatös ! I understand what you are saying I guess I was just hoping maybe somebody had heard something or if maybe anyone higher up pays attention to these forums.

You may be able to get more information about the development status from the developers on the libraw.org website.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 months later...

Hi @ADR58,

Technically support was added to LibRaw for the S5II on February 5th 2023, the RAW library used by Affinity Photo but I'm unsure which version of LibRaw Photo currently uses or if Serif is part of the LibRaw early access program but the hope is that support for the SCII would follow soon.

PanasonicLumixDCS5II.jpg.9620084da2fae29387c566d303094f24.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I contacted LibRAW.  They state they have included the S5 ii already and it's Affinity Photo that is at fault...

"We do not provide direct user support for other's end user products (with the

exception of ours end-user products, of course). If Affinity takes money from

its users, they should be engaged in support without throwing this ball to

us.

LibRAW is targeted to developers, we're ready to provide support for Affinity team, but they never contacted us.

Please send this link to Affinity team:

https://www.libraw.org/extended-support”

It's ridiculous that a 6-month-old camera is not supported yet.  I have a camera that is of no use to me as I work exclusively with RAW images.

I had issues when buying the software.  I should have taken the hint and gone elsewhere for my photo editing!

3 hours ago, Hangman said:

Technically support was added to LibRaw for the S5II on February 5th 2023, the RAW library used by Affinity Photo but I'm unsure which version of LibRaw Photo currently uses or if Serif is part of the LibRaw early access program but the hope is that support for the SCII would follow soon.

From the FAQ (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167741-list-of-supported-raw-formats-cameras-for-lens-correction-list-in-affinity-20x 

Serif Labs Supported Cameras 
(based on libraw snapshot 0.21 with additional Canon CR3 code)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @ADR58,

I can't comment other than with respect to LibRaw support for the S5II being added on February 5th 2023. I don't know what relationship Serif has with LibRaw and whether or not they rely on major LibRaw releases every 12 to 18 months or if they subscribe to LibRaw's extended support, so again I can't comment.

Obviously, Serif, like any software developer needs to test new releases to ensure new versions of LibRaw don't cause issues with Affinity Photo which can take time and then once thoroughly tested it's only going to be introduced in a subsequent release of Photo so support could be added soon but I have absolutely no way of knowing.

This is no different to products such as Capture One where support for new cameras can take several months while the software developer needs to thoroughly test the camera prior to supporting it to ensure it doesn't break something in their software so I don't think it is ridiculous that a six-month-old camera is not yet supported.

LibRaw's update cycle is hardly quick, take a look at their update policy... https://www.libraw.org/#updatepolicy

Hopefully, someone from the moderation team can provide some updates as to when Affinity Photo will add support for your particular camera.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

Just because LibRaw support it doesn't negate the fact that LibRaw support for said camera still needs to be tested by Serif for compatibility with their own software which doesn't happen overnight... I have no doubt that support will be added for the Panasonic DC-S5 II once Serif has tested it and are happy it performs correctly with Affinity Photo.

Support for the Panasonic DC-S5 II  was only added to Capture One a month ago for exactly the same reason and I'm pretty sure Capture One are a much bigger team than Serif... The C1 forum is full of comments complaining about the lack of support for the SCII from launch day which is totally unrealistic...

• Staff

Generally when there has been a substantial LibRaw update as opposed to a more incremental one. I believe LibRaw has its own cycles as well so we would try to coincide with that. I could not give you a wait time as I have only just pushed this request to the developers. I will update you once I hear anything.

That could be another year!  LibRAW updates every 1.5 to 2 years!  Meanwhile, we S5ii users are ******, more so when I also note no support yet for the Sigma 60-600mm f4.5-6.3 DG DN OS lens for L-mount, though the Lumix S 20-60mm f3.5-5.6 is at least supported.