You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to open file The file appears to be truncated (shorter than expected)". Please help!

Ebru

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This error message is quite rare, there were only a few reports of it in the past year. Serif has replied to the other threads asking which operating system you're using and asking where are you saving your documents - cloud, local drive, external drive, network drive, etc. - so it would be good if you could provide that in advance to save time. Serif may also ask that you share the document with them.

I've seen only one other report of this error in these forums since the launch of v2:

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ebru,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, sorry to hear you're having trouble and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

It's unfortunately unlikely that our team are able to recover these files, as missing information is as described, and therefore usually cannot be 'found' - however we can certainly look into this for you.

Are you able to attach a copy of the file that shows this error here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

I've got the best yet.... EVERY ONE OF MY FILES REPORTS THIS ERROR!!!!!!!! I can't open ONE of them. This is all I get...

The file appears to be truncated (shorter than expected).

And it only appeared after the last couple of updates. So all I can say to this is.... "now what?" I'm just shaking my head laughing at the irony of how excited I was with the Affinity apps, and how that was going to change so much for the better for me and... opps, wrong again.

And If I get a response from anyone here that... "you should always do this, or that"  or  "in the future"  or  "well I always do this"  or  "well, its always worked fine for me"  or  "check your system, it could be causing"....  I swear I'm gonna jump through the monitor and grab you by the throat until you turn pink.

Have a nice day...

27 minutes ago, cmpan1 said:

EVERY ONE OF MY FILES REPORTS THIS ERROR!!!!!!!!

Where do you save your Affinity files, and what OS do you use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt... I save them on 'C' in the GDrive folder. I recovered my files 'believe it or not'. I went to online GDrive (which are basically the same files backed up) and took a shot by downloading them all and replacing the doc folders for the Affinity apps... and lo & behold they all opened. ?????????????? I don't get it. They're the same files. Backed up to the same location I've ALWAYS used with no problem. But now they work. ???? 

Any Ideas that can help my brain reset to 'somewhat' normal?

OH.... Windows 11

If, by GDrive, you mean Google Drive, perhaps you've configured Google Drive to migrate everything off, except for a file stub. And perhaps there's a Google Drive problem with detecting that the Affinity applications are trying to Open one of those files, and Google Drive fails to restore it from the network. That would present a very short file to the Affinity application, and probably generate that error message.

You can configure Google Drive to make files "available offline", I think, and maybe you need to do that for Affinity files?

Congratulations on figuring out a workaround!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Uhh... Yeah... "by GDrive" I mean Google Drive. LOL. Ahh yes the "file stub" 🤔 Why didn't I think of the "file stub?" Now I get it. Brilliant! Thanks. 😁

(why do I EVER come back to forums for help?)