You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

nested filter and adjustments on alpha escaping parent shapes

on MacOS, Photo has a rendering bug affecting probably all adjustment layers and filters nested to vector shapes.

If you modify the alpha channel, the child escapes the parent rectangle (clipping / masking) and affects a random area (depending on zoom level). This is expected in principle, but the issue is that tendering becomes erratic and depending on zoom level. 1. Canvas rendering deviates from thumbnail rendering in navigator panel. 2. canvas limits are not respected.

To reproduce:

1. create new document, RGB/8
  2. add rectangle, fill with horizontal linear gradient with black color, alpha from 0 to 100%
  3. add one of these, try both masking and clipping position
    1. channel mixer (alpha channel, offset = 100%)
    2. levels adjustments (alpha channel, set output black level to 80%)
    3. curves, drag left node from 0 to 0.8 in y-axis)
    4. Procedural texture filer, use A=1 as formula
  4. set adjustment / filter to increase alpha to 100%

below one example.

1621563240_Screenshot2023-01-15at23_31_47.thumb.png.d65a2a9c02764c945b0db64ec7f9b3a7.png

Edited by NotMyFault
Reduced impact rating to „rendering issue“.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I‘ve edited my original post. 
it is expected that adjustments and filters can escape the parent shape in principle. 
Otherwise filters like ripple could not work.

the bug indications are:

• rendering becomes erratic depending on zoom level, random rectangular areas are either impacted or not after changing zoom level
  • deviating between navigator thumbnail and canvas,
  • not respecting canvas size. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

the bug indications are:

• rendering becomes erratic depending on zoom level, random rectangular areas are either impacted or not after changing zoom level
  • deviating between navigator thumbnail and canvas

I guess these are expected too, since Live Filters and Adjustments are performed on a sort of "preview proxy" calculated on the visible zoom/area to make them "live".

Anyway... Probably I did something different and didn't understand your procedure, but nothing happens on Monterey.

To confine the procedural texture I guess you need a further clipping mask on top maybe?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

This gray rectangle outside the parent shape also appears in v1 on El Capitan, so it's got nothing to do with Metal.
Just a gradient shape and a Levels adjustment, no P.T.
It may remain if I disable or reset Levels, but that's only a display issue, it won't export.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

The "gray" rectangle is by design otherwise output of the Procedural Texture will not be seamless... I think this filter somehow "wins" over others.

If you're applying this filter to an alpha channel and need to mask it you need another mask I guess... 🤔

The only way to avoid any ambiguity is exposing a node UI...

With a linear one it could be very hard to tell what is a bug and what is an error in the creation process. 

3 hours ago, paolo.limoncelli said:

The "gray" rectangle is by design otherwise output of the Procedural Texture will not be seamless... I think this filter somehow "wins" over others.

If you're applying this filter to an alpha channel and need to mask it you need another mask I guess... 🤔

The only way to avoid any ambiguity is exposing a node UI...

With a linear one it could be very hard to tell what is a bug and what is an error in the creation process. 

I hope there is no cross-talking, or reference to the older, original version of my report. I updated my post later.

The issue is not alpha-impacting child layers escapes the parent layer in general.

It relates to rendering issue when this happens, and not respecting the canvas or artboards which should be treated different to other layer types.

Performance is no excuse for wrong rendering. 

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Performance is no excuse for wrong rendering. 

Nobody is excusing anybody here... 😀

Anyway performance could be a bug as much as it couldn't.

I still can't see where is the rendering issue in your screenshot... I can see something like a 560% zoom in. 

Cannot replicate (you can see me zooming and panning in the video).

Could you maybe record the whole process and upload the video to spot the issue?

Sure. For my convenience, recorded on iPad. Same on MacOS.

I resized the document  so zoom level is 50% to 150%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @NotMyFault,

Thanks for your report - I've replicated this on Windows with both Hardware Acceleration enabled and disabled - indicating this is an underlying issue with the compositor and not Metal etc, so I will log this with our developers now :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)