You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've run into a niggling issue in formatting a book, where text autoflow is skipping a page, i.e. the right-hand page of a spread is linking to the next RH page, not the LH one.

Now, I figured out from this thread that it's because the LH page has text on it. However, the text in question is the document title in the master page header, which I can't seem to insert as a field (the RH master has a field in the header, which seems fine re text flow.

The help pages say that available fields include Author, Tags, Comments, Title, Subject, and Revision. Yet 'title' is not an option on the insert field menu, unless you select 'more', which brings up a box where I can type in the document title. Doing this populates the master page with the doc title, but it's not showing as a field, just text.

Is there a way round this? Am I missing something simple? (more than likely! 😄)

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11
Affinity Publisher/ Designer/ Photo 1.10.6.1665 and 2.4.1

"I don't do fruit-based technology."

5 minutes ago, weegiegrum said:

Doing this populates the master page with the doc title, but it's not showing as a field, just text.

Turn on Text > Highlight Fields. The title is not a dynamic field like a Page Number which uses a place holder. I think of it as a Set it and Forget it field.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

OK, I can see that seems to be doing what it should be doing... however, that still leaves the text flow problem where RH pages are skipping the LH page and linking to RH pages. I had thought it was because that text in the header is not being recognised as a field, but maybe there's something else going on?

I include a picture of the fields on the master spread:

672647633_Screenshot2023-01-15191825.thumb.jpg.0dd8be90078b43497af052347e2cd22a.jpg

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11

Do you have Linked Text Frames on the Master Page? Is that where the text is on the Actual right hand page? In a Master Page Text Frame. Or is it in a standalone Text Frame you drew or pasted onto the Actual page?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

The master pages have text frames on them, but they're not linked. Should they be? (I just tried doing that and crashed the program!)

Grahame

6 minutes ago, weegiegrum said:

Should they be?

If you want text to automatically flow from right over to left and on and on then yes they should be linked.

Try with a new document.