You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity won't start on Windows 11

Hello,

I have used Affinity Designer and Photo on Windows 10 without any problems. On my new Notebook with Windows 11 both programs won't start properly. After the loading-screen the program opens very shortly and then closes again.

I have updated drivers and reinstalled several times. It did not change.

Thank you for your help!

d8009ead-b43d-4c9f-9fe1-ff897c5dd4bb.dmp

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 6:07 PM, Mshun said:

I'm in the same situation. The title appears when trying to start and closes immediately. Please tell me the solution.

Welcome to the forums :)

Did you try what Pauls wrote in the post just prior to yours? It's called Control Run up. Press and hold the CTL key while launching the program. Do you get the Clear User Data Screen? If so press the Clear button at the bottom.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 10 months later...

I also have this issue and have since the release of v2. Holding down the control key does allow it to launch once. However, it must be cleared every time you launch the application. More importantly, the application will crash immediately if you attempt to open a document or create a new document in designer/photo.

I've also tried deleting the %APPDATA%/Affinity folder as well as wiping my computer clean and only installing Affinity Designer. Nothing works.

Edited by mwt

Hello. I have the same issue on the fresh installation of Windows 11 Professional. This is not cool. I think that this is first time I have issues like this with any Windows app. Have some problems with 16 bit apps in the past and dos ones but never with the win32/win64 app. If this is the way You try to force the v2 version to users this is not a good way. I understand that v2 is Your priority but I have full pack (Photo/Designer/Publisher) and don't want to spend to much money for v2 version if I don't need it. If there will be 75% off for the people who have whole pack - maybe. But right now I don't see reason for that.
This is the event logs:

Application: Designer.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.GlyphsInspectorNode.MakeSample(GlyphsInspectorNode*, Kernel.Counted<Raster::Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5> >*, Kernel.NonCounted<GlyphsInspector>*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.Render() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResultCore(Boolean) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.OnRenderComplete(System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1<System.Windows.Media.ImageSource>) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

Application: Publisher.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.GlyphsInspectorNode.MakeSample(GlyphsInspectorNode*, Kernel.Counted<Raster::Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5> >*, Kernel.NonCounted<GlyphsInspector>*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.Render() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InnerInvoke() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].GetResultCore(Boolean) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.Glyph.OnRenderComplete(System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1<System.Windows.Media.ImageSource>) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() Exception Info: System.AggregateException at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

Application: Photo.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.Raster.Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5>.Clear(Raster.Buffer<Raster::Red8,Raster::Green8,Raster::Blue8,Raster::Alpha8,Raster::X5>*, Boolean, Boolean*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.CreatePreviewBitmap(System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker) at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.EnumFontsW(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object) Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary() at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontCellControlHelper.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem() at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Elvio Moura said:

I fixed it. The cause of the issue was the folder ".affinity", it was occult. I turned off the occult mode and all the apps back to work perfectly.

"Occult"?

That's not an English term that applies to files or folders. Perhaps "Hidden"? Or could you provide a screenshot of the setting you changed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, mwt said:

Interesting. I don't even have that folder.

You would only have it if you installed using the default (MSIX) method.

Otherwise, if you installed using the EXE method, you will have information in %AppData%\Affinity instead.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 minutes ago, mwt said:

Interesting. I'll try this MSIX installer and see if that fixes everything.

You should uninstall the version you have, before you do that.

-- Walt
PC:

I can't find these MSIX installers. I only have exe installers under:

Is there even an MSIX installer for V1? If not, @Elvio Moura's post must have been about V2.

I've done this, @Komatös. This is also a fresh install that I've made on multiple Windows 11 releases over the last few months on two different computers. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with the environment. Most likely, V1 is broken on Windows for everyone and has been since the release of V2.

28 minutes ago, mwt said:

Is there even an MSIX installer for V1? I

No, but didn't you start out saying you've been having this problem since V2 was released? 

On 12/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, mwt said:

I also have this issue and have since the release of v2.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, mwt said:

Yes, V1 stopped working for me a few weeks after V2 came out.

Thanks for clarifying. As the applications are completely separate, V2 would be irrelevant to your V1 issue, except for creating confusion because you mentioned it.

-- Walt
PC:

.NET fix tool didn't helped at all.

That's nice. I support Affinity ideas since the Designer beta came out. Bought all 3 products to replace Adobe software... And the funny thing is that the Adobe CS 5.5 that I owned years ago is still working after so many years even on Windows 11... I know that this is not a modern software.. But right now, because of the Serif software don't want to run on Windows 11  - the only I can use. I even downgraded to Windows 10 just to check if Affinity can run on older OS - It can't. It doesn't run on current Windows 10 or Windows 11 fresh install. 

Edited by Kamil B