You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Layer from Opacity dialog box?

While working with the curves panel I highlighted the Opacity dialog box, does not matter what the % is, I dragged the box over to the image and let go and it created a new blank layer that says it is Frame Text and lists the % of opacity that was present in the Opacity dialog box.  Is this a BUG?  If not what is the purpose of creating a text frame layer from this dialog box?  thx, - T V (seems to happen from any highlighted input dialog box with the Move Tool (V))

example1.jpg.c2d6cdd8b7edbad089d36f712a74f56c.jpg

example2.jpg.4f92b39af1d645e39d2e976ede97fcce.jpg

To see if I understand what you did: You selected a piece of text (the opacity percentage), and dragged it on top of the actual image.

That sounds like a kind of drag/drop operation to me, just as if you had copied/pasted some text onto your image, or dragged some text out of a text editor and dropped it onto your image. I would say that creating a text layer is a perfectly good result when you drop text onto the image, no matter where the text came from.

I would not think it's a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, T V said:

I dragged the box over to the image and let go and it created a new blank layer that says it is Frame Text and lists the % of opacity that was present in the Opacity dialog box

Dragging any highlighted text into an Affinity document will create a text frame with that text in it

Try it with something like Notepad and you will see what is happening

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@walt.farrell  My intention was to change the % by using the mouse left or right by dragging it outside the box and instead I got a surprise.  Now I guess I have a shortcut to text frame creation from many locations.  It does copy the text into the frame from whatever was highlighted.      

13 hours ago, carl123 said:

Dragging any highlighted text into an Affinity document will create a text frame with that text in it

Try it with something like Notepad and you will see what is happening

@carl123  At first, I had no idea what was occurring when I saw a small rectangle appear.  It was only after trying it on other input dialog boxes that I realized where this was going... Thought maybe this was something odd as I had never seen or heard mention of this happening before.  On this example I cannot find where the text is, but, on other tries, I found the text @ 75% of the way down inside of the box and not at the top nor at the margins. 

18 minutes ago, T V said:

My intention was to change the % by using the mouse left or right by dragging it outside the box and instead I got a surprise. 

And now you know that you can't adjust that field by dragging the mouse that way :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, T V said:

My intention was to change the % by using the mouse left or right by dragging it outside the box

Here on Mac I just click on the word Opacity and can drag from left to right to decrease or increase the %. Also works for the various other fields. Click and drag on the Labels, not in the field.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Here on Mac I just click on the word Opacity and can drag from left to right to decrease or increase the %.

Did not work for me on Windows when I tried it earlier.

-- Walt
PC:

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did not work for me on Windows when I tried it earlier.

Are you dragging on the text "Opacity:" in the Curves window, or on the number field showing the opacity %?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are you dragging on the text "Opacity:" in the Curves window, or on the number field showing the opacity %?

@Old Bruce says drag on the word. I responded that it didn't work for me. 

Since you asked, dragging on the number doesn't work, either. 

-- Walt
PC:

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

@Old Bruce says drag on the word. I responded that it didn't work for me. 

Since you asked, dragging on the number doesn't work, either. 

Oh well. I guess it works there on Macs but not Windows.

Does it work for you elsewhere, like in the Transform panel when dragging on the H, W, X, or Y text?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Does it work for you elsewhere, like in the Transform panel when dragging on the H, W, X, or Y text?

Yes, it works in panels. But not in Adjustments (at least, not in the Curves adjustment dialog).

-- Walt
PC: