You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy paste text full justify from Microsoft Word to Publisher

Good afternoon,

I prepare a newsletter for our museum and I receive the article to be incorporated in Affinity Designer 2. I copy the text (that is full justify in Word with the Helvetica font)  once I  paste that text into the frame text in Publisher, the text does not always showed full justify. I select the text and  justify all which seem to work. Once all looks correct, I export my document into  PDF at 192 DPI. When I look at the converted PDF some to the text ( paragraph ) is not fully justify.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? 

Thank for your help

Robert

Good evening,

Personally I wouldn't rely on accurate conversion of pre-formatted text from Word.

I would paste the text into a plain-text editor, remove any and all formatting, copy and paste into Affinity and apply all the character and paragraph styles there. That way you know you're getting what you want.

(I'd also use Publisher rather than Designer for a newsletter, but that's up to you...)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I don't think you can copy justified text from one application and expect it to be justified in another. Justification depends on the size of the layout area matching exactly and the justification algorithms working identically.

For one example, when you copy the text it will probably have one physical space character between each word, but the apparent space between the words will be adjusted in the original document. And even the spacing between letters may be adjusted. 

When you copy you're just going to get the letters and the single spaces between the words. You won't get the actual sizes of the spaces nor the adjustments between the letters.

The layout to get it justified will need to be redone by the new application, using its algorithms.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think you can copy justified text from one application and expect it to be justified in another.

I think it depends on compatibility between Publisher and the source application, and possibly on the OS too. For example, pasting styled text from Apple Pages into Publisher seems to work pretty much perfectly - justification, indentation, leading etc are replicated exactly. Spaces between words are accounted for in the justification engine - the shapes of the source and target frames don't come into play.

I agree though that in many cases

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The layout to get it justified will need to be redone by the new application, using its algorithms.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

5 hours ago, Robert St-Pierre said:

Since you mentioned using a plain-text editor, would you have a suggestion for one?

As @Catshill already mentioned you can use 'paste as plain text' inside the Affinity apps. Regarding your question you can use Windows' own editor. MacOS' editor is TextEdit, but I do not know if it offers any formatting.

Above's suggestion to use LibreOffice does not solve the problem because it copies text in a formatted way as MS Word does.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, h_d said:

For example, pasting styled text from Apple Pages into Publisher seems to work pretty much perfectly - justification, indentation, leading etc are replicated exactly. Spaces between words are accounted for in the justification engine - the shapes of the source and target frames don't come into play.

Sorry, but I don't understand how the shapes of the frames wouldn't come into play. Justification depends on the length of the lines, which in turn depends on the shape/size of the frame you're pasting into≥

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't understand how the shapes of the frames wouldn't come into play

What I meant was that the original shape (in Pages) and the new shape (in Publisher) don't have to be the same width: justified text copies and pastes from one to the other without any spacing issues.

Original text in a Pages text frame:

54678610_Screenshot2023-01-15at13_23_00.thumb.png.f18e72891592a8a108c88f7a4e299b88.png

The text from Pages copied and pasted into Publisher:

1846793211_Screenshot2023-01-15at13_26_49.png.9f12c36594664fde373dd1791938e53f.png

Thanks, h_d, but I would call that very poor justification in your pasted example in Publisher, vs much better justification in pages, which illustrates my points.

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I would call that very poor justification in your pasted example in Publisher

That's mainly because it's not hyphenated, and I haven't made any adjustments to word or letter spacing. Here it is with Auto-Hyphenation on (no other changes):

549549563_Screenshot2023-01-15at13_47_14.thumb.png.88d0bda9bda89381cfdbaf2cc1b4b16f.png

Turning on hyphenation in my Pages example has a less dramatic effect because the frame is much wider and the spacing can be more evenly distributed:

1352945521_Screenshot2023-01-15at13_52_14.png.8d85ca31c21d1aeb6a24808ec4a5d283.png

Good point, but it's still down to depending on the justification algorithms in the target application, which is solely responsible for the word and letter spacing. You can't just expect (as the OP app seems to) that justified text in one app will be justified the same way in another.

-- Walt
PC: