You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File type suddenly not supported

Hi Anna and welcome to the forum. I tried to open and place your file and to add pages from it to another document without success. I think you'll have to wait for Serif to provide assistance.

I'm sorry you experienced this data loss but fortunately issues like this are rare. I've been burned so many times by various apps that I make a daily backup of my important projects to avoid losing too much data. I lost a lot of work two years ago with MS Office so I know how it feels.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Rarely? 😄There are plenty of reports about Affinity smashing its own files on this forum, and these are only the instances published here in this forum. How many other documents Affinity crashes, we don't know.

And then you even get "file type not supported" error when Affinity no longer knows its own child. 

Affinity programs are simply not suitable for serious use. Now you know, @annapreston 😞

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

@annapreston I forgot to ask, are you using 2.0.3? If not, please update Affinity as there was a known bug fixed in 2.0.3 that caused this error message.

8 minutes ago, François R said:

Rarely? 😄There are plenty of reports about Affinity smashing its own files on this forum, and these are only the instances published here in this forum. How many other documents Affinity crashes, we don't know.

And then you even get "file type not supported" error when Affinity no longer knows its own child. 

Affinity programs are simply not suitable for serious use. Now you know, @annapreston 😞

I was referring specifically to the "file type is not supported" error when opening Affinity files which is what this thread is about. I'm unaware of any rash of reports of a similar "not supported" bug in 2.0.3.

I am doing serious work in Affinity v2, but to each their own.

Regards

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

8 hours ago, annapreston said:

Why would this happen?

External drive or cloud? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 hours ago, MikeTO said:

@annapreston I forgot to ask, are you using 2.0.3? If not, please update Affinity as there was a known bug fixed in 2.0.3 that caused this error message.

I was referring specifically to the "file type is not supported" error when opening Affinity files which is what this thread is about. I'm unaware of any rash of reports of a similar "not supported" bug in 2.0.3.

Regards

I am, all up to date. 

Looks like there isn't any hope of recovering - wondering what I can do to prevent this in the future? I'm now saving multiple copies in as many universes as I can...

14 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Regards

It does appear to be a repetitive issue. Having said that "not supported" posts only account for 0.29% or thereabouts, of the posts made on the forum.

1544295737_Screenshot2023-01-15at08_14_56.png.e3c9a02fe4a426d4fb5e18006541bd6c.png

In general the problem appears to occur when saving to and from a network or external drive, Affinity need to make saving a file more robust. Until then, I know with jpegs you can sometimes retrieve data, repair the file by replacing the header of the file from a good file to the corrupt file using a hex editor; not an app for the faint of heart lol! (always work on a copy kids ;)) but maybe this path is a possible option for repair in Affinity files too.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

31 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Having said that "not supported" posts only account for 0.29% or thereabouts, of the posts made on the forum.

I would be more careful with the interpretation of the forum search results in this case - as can be seen from your screenshot, all posts containing the word file, the word not and the word supported were searched. For better relevance of search results, especially for combined terms, I recommend using the Google search engine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=File+not+supported+site:forum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In general the problem appears to occur when saving to and from a network or external drive, Affinity need to make saving a file more robust. Until then, I know with jpegs you can sometimes retrieve data, repair the file by replacing the header of the file from a good file to the corrupt file using a hex editor; not an app for the faint of heart lol! (always work on a copy kids ;)) but maybe this path is a possible option for repair in Affinity files too.

Saving to Dropbox and iCloud is also an issue and that is where the issue just explodes. The year is 2023 and cloud services are the to go solution for many and a standard.

Serif Software made the catastrophic error to build the Affinity suite upon a totally flawed file architecture and archaic naive OS integration. And more. Serif don't even think they should acknowledge this risk and their own huge mistake in that the UI, when it can, warns customers not to store on such devices, drives or services. The customer must discover the problem and bear the data loss.

THIS makes Affinity programs totally unsuitable for serious use - and I simply cannot take Serif Software seriously for the same reason. They act like a software company in the 1990s, and I'm convinced the company hasn't changed culture or key people since then. 

The software bears this stamp too - it is, after all, modernised copies of software from .... They mostly resemble programs from 1990-2000 with sprinkles of 2000-2010. And then a few contemporary features. It's as if the programs were designed for the needs of the time - and as if Serif has still forgotten the Internet and digital distribution.

But then the company was proud when they were "ahead of the curve" and installed the Windows versions of their programs in a new, ill-conceived Microsoft format, yet another unrealistic move from the Nottingham bunker that has yet to be remedied.

I just summed up, quietly, that there is an incredible distance from Serif Software's products, to a professional standard for software and to being mature enough to be used in a serious setup.

So it's not that surprising that we've chosen not to save on some licenses, but to skip the suffering and facepalms, and invest in serious, up-to-date software. We also realised that it was absurd to shield employees from modern software and technologies and digital distribution options when part of our job is to train and qualify all employees.

Affinity is "The tool of the risk-taking capital-poor hobbyist" - stop this nonsense about it being the choice of professionals, Serif.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It does appear to be a repetitive issue. Having said that "not supported" posts only account for 0.29% or thereabouts, of the posts made on the forum.

Searching on the words "file not supported" without quotes as you've done returns anything that includes those three words anywhere in the post which will include many posts that have nothing to do with this error message. Searching for the actual error message inside of quotation marks ("file type is not supported") will yield the best results. Some, including the OP in this thread, typed the error message as "file type not supported", so I also searched on that. There may be others with screenshots of the error but that didn't write these words in their posts but still there are few posts for this actual error message.

5 hours ago, Pšenda said:

For better relevance of search results, especially for combined terms, I recommend using the Google search engine:

I'm a huge fan of using Google to search sites directly but Google hasn't indexed this entire forum - searching this forum for the word "the" with or without quotes will yield about six times more results if you search the forum directly.

We're getting a bit off topic and Anne is probably wondering what can of worms she has unleashed here. 🙂 

I stand corrected :41_pensive:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I'll stand with you, I've been corrected many, many times.

I'm statistically proven to be wrong sometimes, but statistics isn't one of my strong points according to 12 out of every 10 people :D

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I'm statistically proven to be wrong sometimes, but statistics isn't one of my strong points according to 12 out of every 10 people :D

Yes but you must remember that four out of five people know that the other two are wrong.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Yes but you must remember that four out of five people know that the other two are wrong.

Now you're making my brain hurt lol