You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preventing Data merge to repeat each pages?

Hi, 

I am working on game cards I need to populate using data merge (see "Cartes Observatoire RECTO" attached to this post).
Not all cards have the same design so I made a page for each card in the original file (before merging). I am expecting to get the same amount of page after merging but the app repeats pages to have one of each for each field. 
In my case : 13 pages x 13 fields = 169 pages in the output file. My goal is to have only 13 pages. 

NB :
This is a sample of the file I made to simplified the case. The real file I am working on is a 123 pages involving the creation of a nearly 17k pages after merging data … 😅

Is there a way to prevent AfPublisher to repeats pages? Data merge manager let me select all page or specified a range to repeat but it seems there is no possibility to doesn't repeat. 

What I do not understand is I have another similar project with same settings which works as expected : 65 pages turning into a 65 pages after merge. 
(see "Cartes Action version RECTO")

What I am missing ?

Cartes Action version RECTO.afpub Cartes Observatoire RECTO.afpub DATA Cartes Action VF.csv DATA cartes Observatoire CH.csv

Edited by BenSemioz

I tried the following :
Use the csv from one file with the other with updated fields). 

Cartes Action version RECTO :
No repeat. I get a 65 pages file with the 13 first page populated with data from the CSV

Cartes Observatoire RECTO :
Same problem as described in my OP. 

It lets me think CSV is ok. Settings where the same in data merge manager window.

Hi anto,

I don't remember setting a layout when I designed Cartes Action. I gonna try this (not sure to use this tool properly ATM. I gonna learn more and try :) )

EDIT : 

Oh yeah, that's it !!! 
Thank you very much anto ! I didn't think about looking deep in the content of my layers as I don't remember I set a merge layout in the first place and, as I don't really know how it works, I assume I accidentally made Cartes Action worked as expected 😅

Edited by BenSemioz

I put all things in masters to let texts from data merge being of different format before the merge. 
In case of change in the text (rebalancing the game, mistakes …), I just update the data source in the data merge panel and generate again. 

I found it less time consuming than make change detached afterward. Plus, detaching break the sync with the master. I worked as you mentioned on one project few years ago and have been forced to reset the whole document when the client decided to update to a V2 the year latter 😅
Now I put the whole thing on master, it works better with the workflow of game designers I am working with.
(Unfortunately, when I start to design things, clients are still working on content)

5 hours ago, BenSemioz said:

I am working on game cards I need to populate using data merge ...
... The real file I am working on is a 123 pages involving the creation of a nearly 17k pages after merging data … 😅

A game with 17,000 cards!?

I must be missing something.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

A game with 17,000 cards!?

I must be missing something.

Sorry about my english. 

What I am trying to say is the game have 123 cards but when I click "generate" on the data merge manager panel, I get 17k cards instead of 123. 
Hopefully the problem is solved with the add of a data merge layout 

5 minutes ago, BenSemioz said:

I get 17k cards instead of 123. 

Thanks, I will take a look at the files.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

@BenSemioz I think I can get this down to one page. It is going to take me a bit of time. I shall listen to some of the late great Jeff Beck.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:16 PM, Old Bruce said:

I shall listen to some of the late great Jeff Beck.

Wow didn't realize he just passed.. He was one of the greatest guitarist in the world.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD