You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relink photos on external drive (Samsung T7)

Cantisani

I’m creating a photobook and I have all the photos on a Samsung T7 SSD with APFS case-sensitive format (if it matters). I originally had these files in the iPad but I moved them to the SSD to save space. When trying to relink these photos it stays forever. 

Is it possible to use an external drive for this?

Also, when trying to replace, Publisher just hangs and then quit.

DF42FAC8-6682-4E19-ACEE-CAB9DD56B9F7.png

7 hours ago, Cantisani said:

I reformatted my Samsung T7 to APFS (non encrypted, non case sensitive) and it works fine now :D

Thanks for posting the solution too. It’s useful to know.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 4:58 AM, DM1 said:

Thanks for posting the solution too. It’s useful to know.

Spoke too soon, it happened again. It's not an issue with the Affinity apps but with the iPad. I suspect that an iPad Pro doesn't have enough power in the USB-C port to feed a Samsung T7. I found some powered Thunderbolt hubs, but they're a bit expensive, more than the T7 itself.

I had to reformat it again but this time I'm trying ExFAT format to see if that changes anything, my guess is that it will fail again at some point. Not sure if the T7 is worth buying the hub though. I will consider it.

4 hours ago, Cantisani said:

I found some powered Thunderbolt hubs, but they're a bit expensive, more than the T7 itself.

You could go with powered USB-C hubs instead; they seem significantly less expensive.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could go with powered USB-C hubs instead; they seem significantly less expensive.

I have one of those cheap powered hubs but for some reason my iPad didn't like it. When attempting to connect the SSD through it, my iPad froze and rebooted. it scared the shit out of me lol.. but everything is fine. I guess I need one of those thunderbolt hubs, I don't know.

Another negative, the SSD gets hot and drains the battery of my iPad very fast. It doesn't get as hot with my iMac. That's why I think it's a power issue.