You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffDes v2.0.3-File New-default colour palette does not show

catlover

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But that should probably say that you need to choose an Application palette, or (Mac) a System palette.

That's not true. A default palette definitely can be created from an existing Document Palette (in Affinity apps on macOS at least).

14 minutes ago, ,,, said:

A default palette definitely can be created from an existing Document Palette (in Affinity apps on macOS at least).

And it will be created automatically as a document palette in new documents when you do File > New and specify the appropriate color format?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Yes. That's the whole point of the default palette functionality.

Thanks. I was sure that this did not work, the last time I tested it. Either I was mistaken, or something has changed since my last test as it does work now.

Edit: However, the default document palette, though created when creating a new document, is not shown automatically in the Swatches panel. I still need to scroll the palette list to find it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Yes. That's the whole point of the default palette functionality.

When I create a new document via File > New using for instance the RGB/8 color format after setting a default palette for RGB/8 it definitely does not automatically set that new document's format to that default. The only way I can set the document's palette is to manually choose one of the preexisting palettes from the popup list, just like was shown in an earlier video.

If you can, please post a video of you doing that, making it clear which color format the new document is set to use & which palette you have set as the default for that color format, or alternately explain step by step how to make it work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I was sure that this did not work, the last time I tested it. Either I was mistaken, or something has changed since my last test as it does work now.

Edit: However, the default document palette, though created when creating a new document, is not shown automatically in the Swatches panel. I still need to scroll the palette list to find it.

So how do you know that palette was created as the default for that document? If you have to choose it manually from the list, how can it be considered a default? Alternately, if you do not choose that palette from the list, what if any palette is the document using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, ,,, said:

It will be at the top of the list, though, so it is a trivial matter to locate and select it.

Nope. That does not happen for me. The list order depends entirely on the Swatches panel menu Sort order, either alphabetical or by Color.

In short, I can set or remove any palette I have set as a default for any of the color formats, but that has no effect on the order in the palette category list nor the automatic creation of a palette for a new document.

Still waiting for a video showing how this supposedly automatic default assignment works, other than by manually choosing an existing palette from the list after creating a new document....

Affinity Photo 

24 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So how do you know that palette was created as the default for that document? If you have to choose it manually from the list, how can it be considered a default? Alternately, if you do not choose that palette from the list, what if any palette is the document using?

Setting a document palette as a default (e.g., for RGB/8) simply means that it is created automatically as a document palette when you create a new document with that color format. And this new document palette will include any colors that existed in the source document palette when you set it as the default.

-- Walt
PC:

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Nope. That does not happen for me. The list order depends entirely on the Swatches panel menu Sort order, either alphabetical or by Color.

I was talking about the list of palettes, not the list of swatches inside a palette, of course.

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In short, I can set or remove any palette I have set as a default for any of the color formats, but that has no effect on the order in the palette category list nor the automatic creation of a palette for a new document.

Document Palettes (if any in the document) are always in a group at top of palettes list, followed by a group of Application Palettes, and then, on macOS but not Windows, a group of System Palettes. When a new document is initialised with a default palette, the default palette is instantiated as a Document Palette, and therefore it can be found at top of the palettes list.

• Staff

Hi @catlover,
This is a known issue that I've just updated/bumped to bring it up to developers attention again. The palette set as default (for each colour-format) should be indeed selected as soon as a document (of that colour format) is created. Thanks for raising this up.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Setting a document palette as a default (e.g., for RGB/8) simply means that it is created automatically as a document palette when you create a new document with that color format.

Again, it is not automatically set for me on my Mac. From what @MEB just wrote, at least on Macs it does not work as expected, in that it is not automatically selected when a new document is created.

So if it works that way on Windows, it is a Mac-only issue, but from what what you have said & from at least one of the videos it apparently does not work for Windows either.

1 hour ago, ,,, said:

I was talking about the list of palettes, not the list of swatches inside a palette, of course.

Yes, I confused the sort order of the swatches with that of the palettes; however, for me setting a default palette does not in any way change the order in the list of palettes. That list is always sorted in alphanumeric order.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Does that mean the bug does not affect Windows & in that OS the palette set as default for a color format is selected as soon as a document of that format is created? From what @walt.farrell wrote earlier, it did not seem to be doing that for him.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, I confused the sort order of the swatches with that of the palettes; however, for me setting a default palette does not in any way change the order in the list of palettes. That list is always sorted in alphanumeric order.

I already wrote the following to you about an hour ago, but in case you missed it

"Document Palettes (if any in the document) are always in a group at top of palettes list, followed by a group of Application Palettes, and then, on macOS but not Windows, a group of System Palettes. When a new document is initialised with a default palette, the default palette is instantiated as a Document Palette, and therefore it can be found at top of the palettes list."

I'm tired of discussing this subject with you, R C-R. I've been unable to describe and explain things, apparently, and it's time to move on.

1 minute ago, ,,, said:

When a new document is initialised with a default palette, the default palette is instantiated as a Document Palette, and therefore it can be found at top of the palettes list.

If by "default palette" you mean a palette set as the default for a given color space, that is not happening for me.

But if I create a new document & then use Add Document Palette... to create a palette for that document then of course it is the first palette listed, but at that point it is unnamed & empty (has no swatches in it). IOW, it does not use the default palette I set for that color space; it creates an entirely new one. I can add as many document palettes as I want but again each one is initially unnamed & empty, & sorted alphanumerically at the top of the list, & as expected appears in the list for that document only.

I think the source of confusion here is when you say "default" you do not mean the defaults that can be set for the six color spaces, which have nothing to do with if the palette is a document, application, or system one. The default palettes for the six color spaces are supposed to be preset options that are automatically selected when a new document using that color space is created, but at least on Macs that is not workin, as confirmed by @MEB.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

@R C-R,
The bug affects both OS's - Mac and Windows. I moved it to the Bugs in the macOS section because that's the OS @catlover is using and because there's no section in the forums that includes both OS simultaneously so I had to pick one but the report is filled against both. When you set a palette as default (for a specific colour-format) the app does create a "new" document palette (based on that default palette) that's placed above all the other palettes listed - you have to scroll up a bit to see it. Hopefully the video below will make it more clear. Of course you have to create a palette first (or use one of the existing ones) and set it as default for the colour format you want, only after that all documents that use that colour format will have that palette available (although not selected by default - which is what's logged as a bug).

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

When you set a palette as default (for a specific colour-format) the app does create a "new" document palette (based on that default palette) that's placed above all the other palettes listed - you have to scroll up a bit to see it.

Thanks for explaining about needing to scroll to see it. I expected it to be selected automatically so I guess never really checked to see it there was anything above the last set palette. 😧

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Again, it is not automatically set for me on my Mac. From what @MEB just wrote, at least on Macs it does not work as expected, in that it is not automatically selected when a new document is created.

I did not say it was selected, just that it is created.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I did not say it was selected, just that it is created.

Yes, & as @MEB confirmed, not being selected is a bug for both Mac & Windows.

Affinity Photo