You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffDes v2.0.3-File New-default colour palette does not show

catlover

3 minutes ago, lacerto said:

I think it is a poorly selected term. But perhaps the palette was designed be activated, too, but the feature just is not properly implemented.

What else could it mean? Or more to the point, what term would describe whatever it is supposed to do?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that it does not do what it is supposed to do -- IOW, a longstanding bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Unless you set such a default palette for a particular colour format, new documents of that colour format will have no Document Palette.

It doesn't matter if I set a default or not. When I create a new document it does not have a defined document palette until or unless I create one manually from the popup menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

It doesn't matter if I set a default or not. When I create a new document it does not have a defined document palette until or unless I create one manually from the popup menu.

Strange. It works for me in AD 2.0.3 on macOS 12.6.2.

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But you can't do that, and get Global colors. You must have a Document palette, and they must be created for each document specifically unless you use a Template.

Perhaps we are talking about different things, but what do you think that happens here?

The exactly same thing happens (for me) on macOS. And on both platforms and with both 1.x and 2.x versions.

3 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Strange. It works for me in AD 2.0.3 on macOS 12.6.2.

How specifically are you creating the document palette? If say I set the RGB/8 default to a custom one of 8 colors I created & then create a new RGB/8 document & use the "Add Document Palette..." item from the popup menu, I get an empty palette.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What else could it mean? Or more to the point, what term would describe whatever it is supposed to do?

Perhaps something like "Load this palette as a document palette whenever you create a new document of selected color model, but do not bother to make it active" 🙂

5 minutes ago, lacerto said:

Perhaps we are talking about different things, but what do you think that happens here?

Sorry but I do not know what that has to do with creating a document palette when a particular palette has been set as a default for a color format. Aren't you still manually choosing a palette from the popup list?

Affinity Photo 

Just now, lacerto said:

Perhaps something like "Load this palette as a document palette whenever you create a new document of selected color model, but do not bother to make it active" 🙂

All the palettes are loaded & available at app launch. None are 'loaded' as a document palette, whether or not one has been set as a new document default. 

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Aren't you still manually choosing a palette from the popup list?

I am, because Serif chose to not make the loaded document palette the active palette. But I do not need to save the "default" palette as an external file and pick it from the file system to have my standard global swatches available whenever I create a document of specified color mode.

EDIT: The document palettes are listed at the top of the palette list, separated by a line:

image.png.197226f3f4ff47df3817c06952e9641d.png

To illustrate this, I have manually created above two other document palettes, in addition to "My Preferred Palette", which is the default palette that gets automatically loaded whenever I create CMYK document.

1 minute ago, lacerto said:

I am, because Serif chose to not make the loaded document palette the active palette. But I do not need to save the "default" palette as an external file and pick it from the file system to have my standard global swatches available whenever I create a document of specified color mode.

??? What is the point of setting a default palette if it does not become the active palette unless/until you manually select it from what could be a long list of palettes?

Besides, there is no document palette created unless/until one is created manually, & it is not populated with any swatches at that point that are not already present in the document, & like I have said many times now, all the palettes are already loaded & available from the popup list.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

What is the point of setting a default palette if it does not become the active palette

Perhaps you should ask Serif.

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Besides, there is no document palette created unless/until one is created manually

Just watch the video. A new document does not have a document palette unless the "Default" feature is used to specify that an existing document palette (in any document) should be used as the document palette for new documents of the specific color mode.

5 minutes ago, lacerto said:

Just watch the video. A new document does not have a document palette unless the "Default" feature is used to specify that an existing document palette (in any document) should be used as the document palette for new documents of the specific color mode.

Like I said, for me, it does not have a document palette unless/until I create one manually & it does not matter if I have set a default or not. Your video doesn't seem to contradict that in any way. Like for me, you had to add it manually from the list of possible palettes already available in the app.

Affinity Photo 

I certainly seem to have put my foot in it, sorry about that.
Anyway, I agree with RC_R that there is no point in having a default palette
when it doesn't come up with the "file>new" action. In fact, it doesn't come up with a home-spun template,either.
Regardless of whether it is set as default for that template.
Furthermore : there is specifically a tiny little link-icon with the "colours" palette (swatches), same
as with the gradients and grey palettes. That tells me these are application-wide palettes and the
"colours" palette always used to come up with file new in v.1 XXX.

In the mean time I followed ... suggestion and renamed the colours palette to "  !colours  " (without the quotes).
Problem solved.
It now comes up default with "file,new", because it has moved to the top of the list.
so, R C_R : definitely a bug !! 🙂

4 minutes ago, catlover said:

Furthermore : there is specifically a tiny little link-icon with the "colours" palette (swatches), same
as with the gradients and grey palettes. That tells me these are application-wide palettes and the
"colours" palette always used to come up with file new in v.1 XXX.

The link icons indicate that the palette is linked with one or more of the other V2 apps -- IOW, it is shared among them so any changes made to that palette in one app will also be applied to the same palette in the other Affinity app*s) it is linked with.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R Right, I understand that.

But since renaming that palette and it is now moved to the top of the list and does
come up with "file new", would it not also be a simple matter for the developers to
also rename those 3 default palettes in the code and so get rid of the problem ?

Or am I thinking too simple ? 🙃

3 minutes ago, catlover said:

But since renaming that palette and it is now moved to the top of the list and does
come up with "file new", would it not also be a simple matter for the developers to
also rename those 3 default palettes in the code and so get rid of the problem ?

Sorry but I do not understand what problem you mean, or for that matter how you want those palettes renamed.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

How specifically are you creating the document palette? If say I set the RGB/8 default to a custom one of 8 colors I created & then create a new RGB/8 document & use the "Add Document Palette..." item from the popup menu, I get an empty palette.

'Add Document Palette' is supposed to create a new empty Document Palette, so that is working correctly for you.

Back to the subject of the discussion: after I set a default Document Palette for RGB/8, any new RGB/8 document I create has my pre-defined default Document Palette in the list of available pallets in the Swatches panel.

Edit: This has already been visually demonstrated by @lacerto

1 minute ago, ,,, said:

Back to the subject of the discussion: after I set a default Document Palette for RGB/8, any new RGB/8 document I create has my pre-defined default Document Pallet in the list of available pallets in the Swatches panel.

For me, my pre-defined palettes appear in the list of available pallets whether or not I have set a default. Are you saying that if you do not set one as a default, it does not appear in the list?

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

For me, my pre-defined palettes appear in the list of available pallets whether or not I have set a default. Are you saying that if you do not set one as a default, it does not appear in the list?

Your predefined palettes in the list in the Swatches panel will be either Application Palettes or macOS System Palettes if you have never set a default palette.

Your predefined palettes cannot be Document Palettes if you have never set a default palette. The default palette system concerns Document Pallets - I think that was made clear ages ago in this thread.

3 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Your predefined palettes in the list in the Swatches panel will be either Application Palettes or macOS System Palettes if you have never set a default palette.

Your predefined palettes cannot be Document Palettes if you have never set a default palette. The default palette system concerns Document Pallets - I think that was made clear ages ago in this thread.

So how specifically do I make a new document use a default palette if I have set one as a default? When I create a new document, it has no palette unless I create one for it manually from the list of predefined palettes.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

So how specifically do I make a new document use a default palette if I have set one as a default? When I create a new document, it has no palette unless I create one for it manually from the list of predefined palettes.

Sorry, but helping you understand this is clearly beyond my capabilities. As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

7 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Sorry, but helping you understand this is clearly beyond my capabilities. As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

??? It's a simple question. The only options I see for creating a document palette are "Add Document Palette..." & "Create Palette From Document > Add Document Palette".

The first creates an empty one & the second one only creates a palette with colors already in the document.

So again, how specifically do you create a document palette that uses a palette set as a default?

Affinity Photo 

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

So again, how specifically do you create a document palette that uses a palette set as a default?

From the Help you sent the link to.

Screenshot_2023-01-16-08-26-57.thumb.png.85c1c028d25ec9f00a3326674852748e.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

But that should probably say that you need to choose an Application palette, or (Mac) a System palette. If you choose a Document palette it can't be the default in a different document unless that document has that palette created already.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Pšenda said:
13 hours ago, R C-R said:

That does not explain how to create a document palette that uses a palette I set as a default! In fact, it says nothing one way or the other about document, system, or application palette options; just about default color format options.

I have explained that the only ways I know to create a document (or system or application) palette does not use wnatever I have set as a default palette for the color space of the document I create, so could someone kindly explain to me how to do that?

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But that should probably say that you need to choose an Application palette, or (Mac) a System palette. If you choose a Document palette it can't be the default in a different document unless that document has that palette created already.

Again, please explain to me what "default" means and/or does in this context because for me setting a default palette has no effect on any document I crete.

Affinity Photo