You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffDes v2.0.3-File New-default colour palette does not show

catlover

Hello, due to health issues I haven't been able to participate in the forum for a while. I wish everyone a very happy and above all healthy new year.

My problem: Ever since installing v.2.03 of AffDes, upon File>New the default colour palette does not come up. Instead I get a colour palette that I made a long time ago, namely "Autumn". This is the first palette in the list. Even after deleting this palette and choosing the default "colours" palette > File New> it still reverts back to the first palette in the list, whatever that particular palette may be. I've tried deleting several palettes,"set as default for...", checked preference settings etc., but it does no good.  I suspect something went awry with the automatic transition from v1 to v2, so I tried finding the palette propcol file. Unfortunately couldn't find it. 

Help will be very much appreciated. Thank you !

PS: I've had to change the forum settings and don't seem to be able to get the preferred contents back. So please send me a PM, which I will check for regularly.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 16.47.28.png

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 16.48.24.png

11 minutes ago, catlover said:

"set as default for...",

And "Remove as default for..."?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thank you, I tried that just a minute ago - didn't work. Removed as default for, then set as default for.

I still get the first palette in the list when choosing "file new".

I still have v 1 installed, there it works as expected, even with both apps running.

2 hours ago, catlover said:

Thank you, I tried that just a minute ago - didn't work. Removed as default for, then set as default for.

I still get the first palette in the list when choosing "file new".

FWIW, on my Mac setting a default for any of the color spaces in V2 does not seem to work ... or I do not understand how it is supposed to. Seems like a bug to me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, catlover said:

@RC-R : Yes, I think you're right : a bug. Let's hope that in time it will be ironed out.

I don't think I'm the only one having this problem. 

Are you a Mac or Windows user, & which OS version do you use?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, catlover said:

I'm on Mac, IOS Big Sur v 11.7.2.

I'm on macOS Catalina, so I wonder if this is a Mac-only problem. maybe a Windows user can confirm here if it is working as expected for them?

Affinity Photo 

IMO the feature works similarly as it has always worked, both on Windows and on macOS, and both with v1 and v2 apps.

That is, the "default" simply just loads the specified palette as a working palette at document creation time. It does not activate the palette so that it would be selected when the document is created (instead, the last used in-built or application palette would be active).

The best use of this feature would be creating a custom palette e.g. with some often used color definitions (e.g. named corporate colors, overprint and knockout versions of black, standard rich black, spot colors, etc.) defined as a document palette so that global color definitions could be used, and then specifying it as a default for e.g. CMYK/8 documents:

image.png.a27628bcd472ad0563b546c0e9b26b01.png

@catlover  since the palettes are now arranged alphabetically, a very simple way to make your Default palette always appear at the top of the list is to rename it:  AAA Default.  Sort of a clumsy solution, but it would work!🙂

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

AAA Default.  Sort of a clumsy solution, but it would work!🙂

If you would mind a name with the initial letter A, which does not correspond to your naming, I recommend using "_" (for example _My Palette).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, lacerto said:

That is, the "default" simply just loads the specified palette as a working palette at document creation time. It does not activate the palette so that it would be selected when the document is created (instead, the last used in-built or application palette would be active).

How is loading this "default" palette any different from loading all the others? Aren't they all loaded into the app at startup? Regardless, what is the point of setting a default palette if it does not automatically become the selected one when creating a new document?

The help topic is not of much help with this. For AP V2, it just says:

Setting default palettes

Any palette can be set as the default used for specific colour formats. For example, you can set RGB/8 documents to have a different default palette to CMYK/8 documents.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How is loading this "default" palette any different from loading all the others? Aren't they all loaded into the app at startup?

1) Whether a palette is loaded, depends on the color mode. This allows to optimize to some extent print-specific, gray and digital media palettes.

2) By specifying a palette as "default", you can work around the limitation of application-wide palettes not having a capability of having global swatches (and accordingly, parents of tints, and have an overprint attribute). [That is, the "default" feature allows document palettes becoming kind of color mode specific application palettes.]

1 minute ago, lacerto said:

1) Whether a palette is loaded, depends on the color mode. This allows to optimize to some extent print-specific, gray and digital media palettes.

??? AFAIK, all the palettes are loaded into the app when it starts up. At least there is zero detectable delay when changing palettes, so I think they must already be in memory.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

??? AFAIK, all the palettes are loaded into the app when it starts up. At least there is zero detectable delay when changing palettes, so I think they must already be in memory

The point is that "default" palettes can behave like document palettes when creating a new document. Application palettes do not have capabilities of document palettes (as mentioned above).

35 minutes ago, lacerto said:

The point is that "default" palettes can behave like document palettes when creating a new document. Application palettes do not have capabilities of document palettes (as mentioned above).

How exactly are they behaving as default palettes for new documents? Any palette cn be used simply by selecting it from the popup but like you said, when creating a new document whatever palette was last set is the one you start with.

So again, what is the point of setting a 'default' palette if it is not automatically selected when a new document of a particular color format is created?

Affinity Photo 

How exactly are they behaving as default palettes for new documents? Any palette cn be used simply by selecting it from the popup but like you said, when creating a new document whatever palette was last set is the one you start with.

I have tried to explain this above. But try to create a custom palette that behaves like a document palette so that you can have global swatches included (they are needed to be able to apply Overprint attribute, and to be able to create parent-child tint relationship). Application-wide palettes cannot have global swatches.

It would be useful if Serif improved the feature so that the user-defined default palette would also be automatically selected as the active palette whenever creating a document with a specific color mode. Perhaps this happens one day, but I'm not holding my breath. 

53 minutes ago, lacerto said:

But try to create a custom palette that behaves like a document palette so that you can have global swatches included (they are needed to be able to apply Overprint attribute, and to be able to create parent-child tint relationship). Application-wide palettes cannot have global swatches.

Correct. You could, of course, create a Template with your Document Palette in it, and start new documents using that Template.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, lacerto said:

I have tried to explain this above. But try to create a custom palette that behaves like a document palette so that you can have global swatches included (they are needed to be able to apply Overprint attribute, and to be able to create parent-child tint relationship). Application-wide palettes cannot have global swatches.

Sorry, but I still do not understand what this has to do with setting a default palette for new documents. What does "default" mean if not a preselected option?

Affinity Photo 

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Correct. You could, of course, create a Template with your Document Palette in it, and start new documents using that Template.

Does that make any difference on Windows?

On Mac, the app's last used palette (or the first Application Palette in the list when the app has only just launched) is selected when a new document is initialised from either a template or an app document preset.

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You could, of course, create a Template with your Document Palette in it, and start new documents using that Template

I would rather define a few default palettes and have them available with any kind of document (disregarding the format etc.), possibly with just color mode specific variations, than creating various templates using different formats just to have a standard palette available.

Interestingly default palettes do not seem to be loaded with a template based new document (of the defined color mode). Perhaps this is a bug (only tested v2 apps on Windows for this feature).

Just now, lacerto said:

I would rather define a few default palettes and have them available with any kind of document

But you can't do that, and get Global colors. You must have a Document palette, and they must be created for each document specifically unless you use a Template.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, lacerto said:

I would rather define a few default palettes and have them available with any kind of document (disregarding the format etc.), possibly with just color mode specific variations, than creating various templates using different formats just to have a standard palette available.

Can't we do that now? Every system or app level palette I have created or ships with the apps or is linked among the V2 apps is available from the popup menu.

Affinity Photo 

What does "default" mean if not a preselected option?

A default pre-populated Document Palette for new documents of a given colour format, such as RGBA/8.

Unless you set such a default palette for a particular colour format, new documents of that colour format will have no Document Palette.