You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

saving for web issues

it was blurry no matter what I did.

I opened the source which was some indesign file and exported from there and got a better quality...

iBut if its coming from indesign I would think its a 300 dpi it should be huge and look fine when I put it at 72?

i get confused from dpi stuff....

So when you are resizing the document, you need to make sure the Resample box is checked.  And try changing the Resample method. By default I believe it selects Nearest Neighbor.  You should try them all, but in general the quality is lowest at Nearest Neighbor going higher in quality as you go down the list.  But that is just very general.

You might also want to try adjusting the document size from the Export menu.  You will have more options and varieties to choose from there.  And you will have actual files to compare.

These of course are only my personal opinions, and are not meant to be absolute recommendations.  I do not speak for Affinity, or anyone else.  Just myself.  My suggestions are provided in an attempt to assist you. 

James from team Affinity has made a little video about DPI that might help.

In short, you should generally ignore it and concentrate on the pixel dimensions instead. When we produce some images for the web here at Serif they need to be quite big for 5K iMacs... I don't care about the resolution in the slightest as long as those 5K pixels are actually present.

If you're prepping your image for the web, how big do you want it to be? Just use that size in the Export dialog and choose a resample (resize) method of Bilinear, Bicubic, or Lanczos. For me DPI is a bit like speed in a car. When you want to get somewhere, it doesn't really matter what speed you go as long as you travel the correct distance, otherwise you'll undershoot or overshoot, even if you were driving at the "right speed". For images, it doesn't really matter what the resolution is as long as you have the correct number of pixels, otherwise your image will be too too small or too big, even at the "right resolution".

<edit>

And then there's compression trading off against quality, which is another thing completely :)

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.