You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deselect object drawn with pencil tool in Designer

Can you describe what you want a bit more clearly please.

It sounds like you want the Pencil Tool to be able to draw individual curve layers without having the deselect the last one, but that happens anyway, by default (for me at least).

(And I don’t know what you mean by “that tiny little x at the bottom of the screen”.)

35 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(And I don’t know what you mean by “that tiny little x at the bottom of the screen”.)

The OP is presumably using the iPad version, which has a small "X" icon in the lower-left corner to deselect a layer.

That said, I don't need to deselect on the iPad either - I always wind up with distinct layers each time I draw a new curve with the pencil.

The only way I can get it to NOT do that is to start the new curve somewhere on the previous curve.

@iuli, the OP specified use of the pencil tool, but the thread that you linked to is related to the pen tool.

The pen tool does behave the way that you are describing, but the pencil tool does not (and does not need to).

If the OP specified the incorrect tool and is actually using the pen, that makes a difference, but if using the pencil tool as was originally stated, then double-tapping the end point does not deselect the curve, and does not need to unless the new curve to be started is somewhere on top of the one that is already selected.

@Girlvsworld, if you are creating individual straight lines and are using the pen tool rather than the pencil tool as you originally stated, you can switch the mode from "Pen" to "Line" in the context toolbar to get the behavior I think you are asking for.

I am drawing with the pencil tool but switch colours often. I have to deselect each shape or line that I draw or choosing the colour will change the colour of the thing I’ve just drawn. In Illustrator you can toggle that option to keep the line/object selected or not. I don’t want it selected. If there was a shortcut (without a keyboard) that would suffice, that little ‘x’ is not great. 

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Hi,

Thanks for this feedback. We have now added a check box in the pencil tool context toolbar to choose if you want to keep the curve you have just drawn selected or not. This is available to try now in the 2.3 beta...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2