You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

recommended font starter packs for design experiments?

Hi

Both Windows and MacOS come with a basic selection of quality typefaces. Installing software like MS Office can also add additional well-designed typefaces.

When doing design projects, often you want to experiment with typefaces that are not in that basic set. To be clear, experimenting means trying to find the right one, where you don't already know what you want (and can purchase from a font site).

Are there recommended starter packs of typefaces which are (1) diverse in style, and (2) properly designed, (3) not too expensive?

What do other designers do? 

Nice question, I'll follow your topic.

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

It all depends on the client and the requirement. For anything where there is no pre-specified font and there is a need to share the designs without reducing text to curves then I will tend to start with Google Fonts. https://fonts.google.com/ This is a really good collection of curated fonts that satisfy a lot of client needs in my work.

Then there is a big ravine to cross to get to my more prestigious clients where the font is more precious and is specified in a style sheet or design rules document. In that case I have no choice but to go and invest in it (rarely do these companies use free fonts). One big problem is clients who are moving old work to me for rework and they've previously used a designer or agency that uses Adobe products. Adobe Fonts are wrapped up in their eco system and a lot of them have no equivalents outside of it that you can buy or download. Negotiations around that issue can be challenging. If a lot of your work is of this type then maybe and Adobe sub is the way forward - but I suspect that flies in the face of your not to  expensive requirement. At that point I always try to find the original source of the typeface, buy directly and roll the cost into the client fee.

3 hours ago, tariq said:

experiment with typefaces that are not in that basic set. To be clear, experimenting means trying to find the right one, where you don't already know what you want (and can purchase from a font site).

Are there recommended starter packs of typefaces which are (1) diverse in style, and (2) properly designed, (3) not too expensive?

Considering that fonts delivered with the operating system contain a few hundred fonts already (in macOS ca. 1000 fonts in ca. 350 different font families) the question for a "starter set" may be hard to answer or might require to be more specific about possibly missing font design for a satisfying answer.

Note, the websites of font suppliers often give the option to type a custom text to be displayed in a selected font which enables you to try this font for specific text without the need to purchase the font file.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, tariq said:

To be clear, experimenting means trying to find the right one, where you don't already know what you want (and can purchase from a font site).

I'd personally advise againts that. What I mean is:

• Wandering on multiple Typefaces to see what fits  is just a waste of time
  • Trying to design without a need and a direction would lead to unsatisfying results

What you might wahtto do instead is:

• Define a conceptual direction, for example, I want something that looks energetic, with a lot of saturated colors and fun
  • Look for visual references that include Typography
  • See the linked topic above where I gathered a good deal of free and good Typefaces / Fonts (at least, I hope they are for everyone)
  • Now try to apply it to your design

Best regards!

I've learned not to rely on the font set shipped with the OS. These can vary between OS versions and I've also encountered a case when installing an unrelated app mangled an installed font. The Mac/Windows font sets overlap a tad but only by about 20. Then you've got the Arial/Helvetica debate and the arcane knowledge surrounding their differences. I have clients who use both Macs and Windows PCs so I have to be careful. It may not apply to you so maybe things are fine in your world.