You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide shape handles whilst applying Layer Effects

If I draw or select a shape, its handles and bounding box are active as long as it's selected. Okay so far. But when I elect to add a Layer Effect, the handles and bounding box should be temporarily hidden, as they can obscure the very effects I'm carefully applying.

I realize that, unlike Photoshop, AD allows me to edit/deselect a shape even while the Layer Effects window is in the foreground. It's not really a modal window! So what's the solution? Well, a compromise might be to hide the handles and bounding box, when the Layer Effects window is present, unless my cursor explicitly moves over the active shape -- making those things more sensitive to my actual intent, in other words. Otherwise assume that I need those to be hidden until I've dismissed the Layer Effects window.

post-998-0-74646600-1412800699_thumb.png

I agree.

This has been mentioned before but bears repeating. As opposed to a global, app wide solution i.e.:hiding edges of everything, perhaps there could be a button in the layer effects panel/popup, something like "hide edges" or "bounding box" or "active" or similar...

• 2 years later...

​+1 It would be ideal if the bounding box would automatically vanish when, and only when, applying effects or at least an option to activate an auto feature and perhaps set the time of duration of disappearance. Rather like the opposite of timed help pop-ups. -- Just ideas.

W11 Pro 64bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB DDR4 Memory | Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 870 QVO 4TB SSD | 4TB 3.5in HDD | 6TB 3.5in HDD | RTX 3070 8GB Graphics Card | Lots and lots of creative software

https://digitaldharmamusic.wordpress.com/

https://digitaldharmamusic.bandcamp.com/

+1

I find it hard to believe that something so useful and simple is not implemented yet.

I find my self doing Deselect and then Undo Deselect, all the time.

This thread is 30 months old.

I found this thread by searching, because I need this feature.

BTW, something similar (Hide Pixel Selection) has finally made it into Affinity Photo 1.5

I would prefer a keyboard shortcut to control whether the selection box is visible or not.

mfsignature.jpg

In addition to MEB's point above... you can always hold the spacebar to hide the handles.

Actually, this is what I was looking for.

Being able to hide the handles anytime.

Do you know where is this in the shortcuts manager, so that I can reassign it to Cmd-H ?

mfsignature.jpg

• 1 month later...

Actually, this is what I was looking for.

Being able to hide the handles anytime.

Do you know where is this in the shortcuts manager, so that I can reassign it to Cmd-H ?

The handles only get hidden when panning the image. I couldn't find this in the keyboard shortcuts preferences either. However, if you do change it you will be changing the panning shortcut, not the shortcut to hide handles alone.

There really needs to be a feature similar to ctrl+h in Photoshop. I keep hitting situations where the spacebar is not enough. In these situations either Affinity Design is not in focus (looking at a reference image or within a dialog) or I'm in a text field where I can't keep holding down space (adjusting font size/kerning etc.).

In these situations I have to switch back and forth - deselecting the layer or navigating out and in of a text field so I can press space. This is a real PITA when making lots of quick adjustments by eye.

TLDR; SPACEBAR IS NOT ENOUGH - ADD CTRL+H (or similar)

• 2 years later...
On 3/19/2017 at 6:27 PM, MEB said:

This was already implemented. The bounding box should disappear automatically when/while you are dragging Layer Effects sliders so you can see how they are affecting the object.

I'm trying to put a semi transparent rectangle over a bunch of images. I'm experimenting with the layer blending. Each time I change the layer blending the bounding box is reappearing. This is really annoying. So I absolutely agree with moefinley:

Spacebar is not enough. Please add a special function for this with a shortcut.

Thank you.