You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong button title in Export

bpedit

This applies to using 'Saving as' to make a new copy from an existing file. After entering a new name and the 'Save' button is hit, the screen opens where you can select the destination. At the top center this reads "Item will be moved to "[filename]" on. . .". The button in the upper right, as well as the title just referred to, should read Save[ed] instead of Move. Otherwise you would expect the new file to actually exist if you don't click Move which is not true. 

I'm not sure what the conditions were but on one or two occasions this button did say Save but I can't get that to repeat.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:17 AM, bpedit said:

The button in the upper right, as well as the title just referred to, should read Save[ed] instead of Move.

Yes, this can be disconcerting when saving. I’m not sure if it’s an iOS thing as Affinity interfaces with the Files app to manage file actions. I agree Save when Saving (rather than Move when Saving) would be much better. Let’s see what the mods have to say when then get back.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 1/11/2023 at 8:17 PM, bpedit said:

you would expect the new file to actually exist if you don't click Move which is not true. 

I expect that technically the file does already exist in a cache, otherwise you couldn't keep unsaved documents open even after restarting the iPad.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 1/13/2023 at 2:35 AM, loukash said:

I expect that technically the file does already exist in a cache, otherwise you couldn't keep unsaved documents open even after restarting the iPad.

Not the same as what most of us construe as "saved". Saved, in a functional way, means you can access it on demand even if you have closed the current file in Designer. Saved also means it was in a particular state when saved, not the current state of the working file.

I know what people understand as "saved".
Hence my usage of the word "technically".

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, DM1 said:

Yes, this can be disconcerting when saving. I’m not sure if it’s an iOS thing as Affinity interfaces with the Files app to manage file actions. I agree Save when Saving (rather than Move when Saving) would be much better. Let’s see what the mods have to say when then get back.🙂

Yes, I wondered about this being an iOS thing too but concluded the look of the window and the prompts suggest this is endemic to Affinity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 1/14/2023 at 11:20 PM, bpedit said:

Yes, I wondered about this being an iOS thing too but concluded the look of the window and the prompts suggest this is endemic to Affinity.

This is partly due to some changes made to our export process and also some changes in iPadOS.  Technically speaking when you see the Move option thats because the file has already been created so from an iPadOS point of view, you are moving that file from a temp location to the one you've selected.  However, this is something the Dev are aware of and if it becomes possible to change this in a future build, they will do so :)