You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Total number of layers?

When using the Move tool you can see in the bottom right of the consolidated window the number of things selected. If you have a group you'll need to expand it and select all by using the layers panel. Even works for Adjustment layers etc if they are not nested to a layer.

Be great if there was a way of getting a count of everything. In Designer you can use the Select > Select Same > to get the number of Shapes, Text Layers, Open Curves but there is no Everything.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, tonyrambler said:

Is there a way to display or discover the total number of layers in a Designer image? This would include all of those concealed in groups as well as those that are separate.

Tony

Select > Select All
Layer > Ungroup All

Use the Move tool to Marquee select all objects on the canvas. The total number of objects will be displayed. (Excludes adjustment layers in the total)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Select > Select All
Layer > Ungroup All

Use the Move tool to Marquee select all objects on the canvas. The total number of objects will be displayed. (Excludes adjustment layers in the total)

Unfortunately, Select > Select All will not select locked layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Unfortunately, Select > Select All will not select locked layers.

Layer > Unlock all

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Layer > Unlock all

So I think the order for the quickest result should be Unlock All first, Ungroup All next, then Select All, with the Move Tool selected ... & probably followed by some undos to return everything back to the way it was?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks (old) Bruce.

Select Object has just solved it, in fact. I'd overlooked both Select XYZ features completely (haven't kept up with all the features…) so thanks.

The answer for this one piece seems to be 3138 objects. For some reason it won't respond to Select Vector Layers or Curves at all but it will happily select all Transparent Objects. Thankfully, every single layer has transparency except the background colour rectangle.

Tony

Re: the other suggestions:

Regarding Select All, Ungroup All etc., I just tried that now and on this image it is a big job.

Ungroup All only ungroups the top level groups each time, and this pic has multiple nests up to 6 deep all over it—possibly over a hundred of them—which remain grouped, so I'd have to dig into each nest and Ungroup All over and over again…………………………… nah.

Thanks all.

17 hours ago, tonyrambler said:

Is there a way to display or discover the total number of layers in a Designer image? This would include all of those concealed in groups as well as those that are separate.

Well, basically it shouldn't be such a big deal for the Serif devs to also offer such a "count all layers" function by iterating through the layers panel internal data structure recursively (...in which case all groups/compounds are also run through and counted). - Ideally the amount result would then be shown up best in manner, that it can then also be copied over to the clipboard for reference purposes.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Well, basically it shouldn't be such a big deal for the Serif devs to also offer such a "count all layers" function by iterating through the layers panel internal data structure recursively (...in which case all groups/compounds are also run through and counted). - Ideally the amount result would then be shown up best in manner, that it can then also be copied over to the clipboard for reference purposes.

Sounds like a good idea for feature request to me.

Affinity Photo 

The day that we get scripting support I'm going to write a document statistics script, assuming the necessary scripting features are added. It would be a good first script to write.

I'll include # of layers in this script.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

43 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

assuming the necessary scripting features are added

Let's emphasize this so the responsible developers notice it too ! 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2