You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Recolor value doesn't fit my HSL value?

Hi.

I'd like to Recolor the rounded candle to the same color as the cylinder candle. So I've used the Color Picker Tool on the cylinder candle. It shows me HSL values like: 59 | 59 | 45 respectively. But when I try to enter the same values in the Recolor panel on my rounded candle, it shows me a different colour. Why is that? Should I change the Blend Mode? Actually I've tried and none of them shows me the correct colour.

How to read the proper value or how to enter them so I've got the correct colour?

Untitled1.png

Untitled.png

44 minutes ago, Lich555 said:

How to read the proper value or how to enter them so I've got the correct colour?

With Recolour you colour the image monochrome. The image consists of only one colour. The different colour tones are created according to the brightnesses in the image.

2 minutes ago, Michail said:

With Recolour you colour the image monochrome. The image consists of only one colour. The different colour tones are created according to the brightnesses in the image.

So is there any similar way to do what I'd like to do?

4 minutes ago, Lich555 said:

So is there any similar way to do what I'd like to do?

The upper picture is obviously brighter than the lower one. So the recolouring is also brighter. You can correct the image beforehand with the gradation curves, for example. You can also try the brightness slider in the Recolourise dialogue box if you have not already done so.

Off-topic interruption: I hope you won't mind, but I've been curious about your various topics about these candles, and about the candles themselves. Is the manufacturer really providing yellow (ish) candles that have a cinnamon scent? That seems odd, to me. I would expect different scents to have different colors, and cinnamon to be more in the brownish-red range of colors.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Off-topic interruption: I hope you won't mind, but I've been curious about your various topics about these candles, and about the candles themselves. Is the manufacturer really providing yellow (ish) candles that have a cinnamon scent? That seems odd, to me. I would expect different scents to have different colors, and cinnamon to be more in the brownish-red range of colors.

Would be grateful if you ask such questions in private message just to not spam here :)

I would try using a Gradient Map with some colours from the Cylinder.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

One option is to apply Recolor and Curves adjustments.

1. Sample the color in the green candle to get the hue.
  2. Apply a Recolor adjustment, set the hue to the hue of the sampled green color and adjust the saturation as needed.
  3. Apply a Curves adjustment to darken the color.

Even after the Curves adjustment is applied, shadows may be washed out, so it may be necessary to apply gradients or use some method to darken the shadows. I added a gradient (dark to transparent) on the right side of the candle in the example below to darken it a bit.

I used images from one of your other posts. The mask needs more work, but these are the adjustments I used to get a pretty close match to the green candle. I don't do much photo editing — there may be better approaches to accomplish this.

image.thumb.png.2d5c6a1677a3f9276226cece70ba84de.png

image.thumb.jpeg.f64b7e902739880b673f063493a43ace.jpeg

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I would expect different scents to have different colors, and cinnamon to be more in the brownish-red range of colors.

As quite often with forum examples also these seem to be moments of various exercises, here apparently made public as Cranberry Green 😇

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yet another method:

1. With Color Picker, sample using 65 x 65 px radius a spot from the candle on the left (I have created a circle where the sample color is picked; the HSL value I got was H59 S48 L54:
    image.thumb.jpeg.cfaa152b41cdeabf3c6ab684a7d5d782.jpeg

2. Using the Info panel, place a sample (magenta crosshair on the right side of the candle top, approximately at the same spot where you sampled the color from the front side of the candle on the left.
  3. Mask the image so that recoloring is only applied on the candle.
  4. Add Recolor Adjustment Layer, and set the Hue to 59 and Saturation to 59, then use the Brightness control to make the image brighter until you get approximately the L-value of 54 into the sample box of the Info panel:
    recolor_02.thumb.jpg.6d5a5c4691a862ca58600d3ad769d879.jpg

I'd go with HSL or Color Balance.
Color Balance allows for precise finetuning.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

For such cases I usually make a Fill Layer (or pixel layer) in the colour which the object should be. Set it to "colour" and it will take on that colour. 

In this particular case, the the brighter candle already has the exact hue as the darker cylindrical candle. The difference is in brightness and contrast.

IMHO whith the levels adjustment, I would adjust the dark, mid and highlights until it matches the "look" of the other candle. Set it in "Luminosity" blend mode and fine-tune the saturation with an HSL layer.

candle green.jpg