You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PNG Compression

Hello,

it would be great, if Affinity Photo/Designer would implement PNG compression. There are several tools on the market (online and offline), which do the job pretty effectively (in most cases the file size is decreased by almost 70 %).

Or is the compressed format named PNG-8? If yes, it works nicely with small PNG files, but it does not work for large files. It does not crash the program, it just does not produce an output. However, the large files can nicely be compressed with many other tools.

Best, Chris

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13196-zopflipng/?p=60590

I guess Andy is already aware of some of some options out there.

My second guess is that it´s not a top priority because it´s not a real deal breaker because you can achieve that with a click and drag treatment after export as well (for the most part at least) and they´ve got a ton of other stuff to do which can not be fixed so easily (like APub).

- though it´s obviously more convenient inside AP

Im using this one https://imageoptim.com

Puh, ImageOptim is very, very slow. I tried out several tools: the best I could find (at least for the graphic files I tried out) is interestingly an online optimizer - pretty fast and very effective. And they do not seem to have a file size limit: http://compresspng.com. However, I cannot find out, which algorithm they use. And, it is a little bit cumbersome to compress a large number of files as the is a file limit of 20.

• 4 months later...

The Colour Quantifier was recommended in a beta thread for Affinity Designer for Windows. Reducing the number of colours is a sure way to get smaller file sizes, and I already use only 256 colours for some screen shots where colour quality is not paramount. I currently use IrfanView for this. 

Serif's Windows applications like DrawPlus, PagePlus, and PhotoPlus already provide good lossless compression of PNG images, but FastStone Capture will do better. 

Affinity Designer 295 K, PhotoPlus, 264K, FastStone Capture 206 K, and Colour Quantifier 178 K @ 1024 colours (the original has 5,965 so it's not lossless, but plenty good enough). At 256 colours, it's only 86.3 K.

The downside of the Colour Quanitfier is speed. It takes 20-30 seconds to process an image of this size. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

True, CQ can be slow. The main advantage of CQ is its quality brush tool that allows the user to control exactly which areas of colour should be preserved in terms of colour quality.

And the very nice range of algorithms to down-sample images. Mitchel-Netravali and Catmull-Rom are great for down-sampling images - much better than Lanczos 3 or 8, and Bicubic. The only other image editor offering these two is Photoline