You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frame gets pasted on the wrong page with "paste without formatting" action

Blake_S

Interesting discovery. However, defining and using the shortcut is not relevant. This will illustrate the problem:

1. Make a 5-page document (Facing Pages, or not)
  2. Draw a Text Frame on page 2.
  3. Select Move Tool, right-click on the Text Frame in Layers panel, Copy.
  4. Go to page 3. Edit > Paste Without Formatting.
  5. Publisher switches to page 4 (if Facing Pages) or 5 (if non-Facing) and pastes the Frame there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting discovery. However, defining and using the shortcut is not relevant. This will illustrate the problem:

1. Make a 5-page document (Facing Pages, or not)
  2. Draw a Text Frame on page 2.
  3. Select Move Tool, right-click on the Text Frame in Layers panel, Copy.
  4. Go to page 3. Edit > Paste Without Formatting.
  5. Publisher switches to page 4 (if Facing Pages) or 5 (if non-Facing) and pastes the Frame there.

FYI I can't duplicate this on macOS.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 1/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

Interesting discovery

Yes this is an interesting discovery.

However, I do have a question. Is the "Paste Without Format" being used correctly in this example? The help file only mentions using copied text not a copied text frame.  "Paste Without Format" of an entire text frame does not seem to match the use case.

The way I understand using the "Paste Without Format" feature is that text is copied from within your source frame and pasted to take on the formatting anywhere you choose within the target frame. Using this feature according to the description in the help file works.

Source: Affinity Publisher V2 help
It talks about copied text not a copied text frame.

image.png.d5620cce26443e8e58f9fa4aff2b642c.png

If you want to copy the text frame to another page of your choice, using regular paste works and is predictable.

It would seem to me that "Paste Without Format" was never intended to work with an entire text frame.

6 hours ago, PixelEngineer said:

It would seem to me that "Paste Without Format" was never intended to work with an entire text frame.

That's a good point, and it may be correct. And in that case, if Paste Without Format is not applicable, it should do nothing. So the bug might be that it does something, when it shouldn't do anything.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1