You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I resize the AD window? Because the sides of AD aren't there.

Win10/V2

I can't seem to post in Affinity on Desktop Questions (macOS and Windows) so I'm posting here. 

See where the green arrows point, the screen is complete.
But when I click the little box on the upper right, the screen does shrink, like it should, but the edges vanish. 

Like on the right where you see Layers - the scroll is on the right. But when I click the box in the upper right to make the screen smaller, that scroll is gone. 

I wouldn't care, but I can't resize AD. I want to make AD about a third of my monitor size, when I'm opening files. 
But I can't do that because I can't shrink AD

It's been like this for my last 3 laptops with both V1 and V2.
How do I resize the AD window? Because it won't do that now.

image.png.ffb0536849b5eee99e92c4a3591f96b0.png

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

1 hour ago, edee said:

Like on the right where you see Layers - the scroll is on the right. But when I click the box in the upper right to make the screen smaller, that scroll is gone. 

In your screenshot showing that, you do not seem to have any layers. You would not have a scroll bar unless one is needed, and with no layers you wouldn't need one.

To resize the window, you should just move the mouse cursor over the edge, and it should become a double-ended pointer. Click and drag at that point. If that is not working, can you record a video showing you trying it?

1 hour ago, edee said:

I can't seem to post in Affinity on Desktop Questions (macOS and Windows) so I'm posting here. 

What happened when you tried? Can you give us a screenshot of you trying that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell

Thank you for your response.

The problem is the outside area of the program. As you can see, when there are layers only half of the scroll shows.
Look at the X on the top right, that's the X that will close the program, there's no padding - the X shouldn't be that close to the edge. There should be padding there. When I hover over the edges of the program, an arrow should appear that allows me to resize the entire program, but that doesn't happen. 

It's as if AD cropped its program too small and there is no way to adjust the size of the AD window other than full screen. 

image.png.d733074c6af09c0f5fc1a2c923b58438.png

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

Thanks for the additional info.

Have you tried Restarting Windows?

Are you using a special setting for Windows Display Scaling?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell

It's been like this on my last 3 or 4 laptops v1 and v2 do this.
I've never been able to resize Affinity. At first, I thought it was my laptop, and then I figured it would be fixed in v2, but it's the same problem.

I can't be the only person with this issue. 

20 minutes ago, edee said:

I can't be the only person with this issue

I don't recall seeing another report in the forums in the 5+ years I've been reading them. 

My guess is it's something you've done or installed. Perhaps you have one of the third-party apps installed that cause problems? 

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Pen T said:

I also have this issue and I'm trying to resolve it. It seems to be a bug. It's really irritating because I like to follow tutorials with Affinity in one window and the video in another. 

Really need more information as regards what App, (Version) and OS you are using. Also, a screenshot showing the issue and what device you are using (Desktop, Laptop, etc?)

But you can try a CTRL run  up and see if that helps

Hold the CTRL key down and start the App. If the dialog "Clear User Data" appears release the CTRL key, leave the first 3 items selected and click the "Clear" button

If the "Clear User Data" dialog does not appear automatically wait a few more seconds then release the CTRL key and select the app in the Taskbar, you should then see the dialog

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @edee & @Pen T,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that we'd previously had this reported for a beta version, but proved very difficult for our team to replicate.

Therefore this issue is logged with our developers as a bug, but seems to require rather specific steps for this to occur - hence the very low number of users experiencing this.

I have 'bumped' this issue with our development team using your thread now to bring this to their attention once again, to hopefully be resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @edee & @Pen T,

I can confirm that we'd previously had this reported for a beta version, but proved very difficult for our team to replicate.

Therefore this issue is logged with our developers as a bug, but seems to require rather specific steps for this to occur - hence the very low number of users experiencing this.

@Dan C

Can you tell me what specific steps it takes for this to occur? I'll be happy to undo whatever I have done that made this happen. 
It's something that I've done with my last several laptops with both v1 and v2. 

@carl123

Sorry, I am just seeing your response now. Windows 10 laptops, mostly Dell laptops (I can't remember what the older laptops were other then they were Win10) 
This happens with Affinity Designer v1 and v2. I have Affinity Photo v1 installed. It does not happen with Affinity Photo v1. I won't be purchasing AP v2. 
All programs are up to date. 

On 1/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, edee said:

How do I resize the AD window?

Click to application icon, click to Size, and arrow keys pressing?

image.png.3371213392a6d28aa88152ab1d1ae484.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
18 minutes ago, edee said:

Can you tell me what specific steps it takes for this to occur? I'll be happy to undo whatever I have done that made this happen. 

In order for our QA team to replicate this, we set the display resolution to 1920 x 1080 (or used a 1080p monitor) and used 100% Display Scaling in Windows.

Then, by manually editing the Affinity setting file that controls the window size (window.xml) to a very specific resolution, 1936 x 1056 and then attempting to drag the window, causes this to occur.

I highly doubt that these are steps you have taken for this to occur, so I'm unsure of why this has been observed on multiple machines for yourself at this time, my apologies.

8 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I wasn't aware of this Windows feature, thanks for teaching me something new :D

I can also see when using this Size option and holding down the left/right arrow keys it causes the application to 'jump' rather frantically on my PC, so I'll be logging this as a separate issue with our team now.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'm running Affinity V2 on an android desktop PC. I had no issues originally with this windows resizing, and then it appeared - I don't remember after which update because I sometimes update and don't use the program for a while.

Carl123's suggestion on clearing the user data worked for me. I appreciate that you're looking further into the issue because these details are important. I still love the Affinity programs btw. 

3 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

image.png.3371213392a6d28aa88152ab1d1ae484.png

@Pšenda

Thank you for your response.
That worked!!!!

If anyone wants to try that. I had to 'shrink' the program first, so it wasn't full screen and move the program to the right a bit, then click on the icon to resize. But once I did the sides of the program showed up! Once the sides of the program were visible, I was able to resize the screen and it seems to be holding. 
Thank you sooo much. 

image.png.a590cb5537e1bedb26dae282b0d05530.png

8 minutes ago, edee said:

I had to 'shrink' the program first, so it wasn't full screen

Yes, a maximized program is simply maximized - that is, it fills the entire screen, and there is no way to reduce it - it has no edges to grab onto. In order to move and change the size, the program needs to be demaximized.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I highly doubt that these are steps you have taken for this to occur, so I'm unsure of why this has been observed on multiple machines for yourself at this time, my apologies.

@Dan C

Well .... I do dabble in programming. I don't think I've manually edited the Affinity setting files, that seems like something I'd remember, but I have a lot of programs that most people probably don't have on their laptops. I wonder if one of them is interfering. 

Pšenda's solution worked and it seems to be holding. I have closed and reopened the program a few times and I haven't had to repeat Pšenda instructions. 
However, I would gladly repeat Pšenda instructions every time if that's what it takes. I just need to be able to resize, I'll MacGyver it every time I open it if I have too. 

Thank you. 

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for letting us know and I'm glad to hear this has helped resolve the issue for you!

Should our developers request any further information regarding your system setup, I'll be sure to respond here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!