You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double master pages allocation upon Shift-Click on Text-frame-flow

Helmar

Having arrived at the end of my pages, I shift-clicked on the text-flow element at the bottom right of the last text frame. AFPub then correctly added all the necessary pages to accommodate the overflow text. BUT... it also allocated TWO master pages to each spread - see screenshot. I could remedy it by reapplying the master pages, but this doesn't look kosher to me. 🙂

101869621_AFPubdoublemasterpages1.jpg.2126ee0d12b6951a1bc4173646d52329.jpg1981703848_AFPubdoublemasterpages2.jpg.170ef95877c44e415594c27117067dcd.jpg

1 hour ago, Helmar said:

BUT... it also allocated TWO master pages to each spread -

I'm not sure what your screenshot is attempting to show. Sorry.

What Master Pages were assigned to the page where you Shift+Clicked? Those Masters are supposed to be assigned to all the pages that are automatically generated to handle the overflow text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure what your screenshot is attempting to show. Sorry.

Don't you see that there are two master pages - "running pages" and "blank" associated to this spread? There's supposed to be only one. 🙂

What Master Pages were assigned to the page where you Shift+Clicked? Those Masters are supposed to be assigned to all the pages that are automatically generated to handle the overflow text.

Those double allocations, hence my post here. It was "running  pages", so the new ones should also be "running pages". But even if "blank", it certainly shouldn't be two.

46 minutes ago, Helmar said:

Don't you see that there are two master pages - "running pages" and "blank" associated to this spread? There's supposed to be only one.

But we can't know how many there are supposed to be without seeing the original page before the Shift+Click.

48 minutes ago, Helmar said:

It was "running  pages", so the new ones should also be "running pages". But even if "blank", it certainly shouldn't be two.

If both were not assigned before, then certainly both should not be assigned now. 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

56 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But we can't know how many there are supposed to be without seeing the original page before the Shift+Click.

that's irrelevant. There should be NO way that any page has more than one master page allocated. NO WAY. And in case of doubt, you use the master page of the page, from whose text frame you are "un-over-flowing" the text. That I think is happening. But somehow it also got another master page attached to it.

If both were not assigned before, then certainly both should not be assigned now. 

I dunno if there is such a thing as "no master". No master would mean no text frames, hence no text-flow. So see above - you just carry over the master page from the last page, but you certainly don't have two. Maybe the forces at Serif can have a look at it. Maybe it's a fluke, but actually, I had this happen twice to me, because when I ran out of pages again, and did another shift-click to add pages and remove overflow, those pages again had two master key pages, although the page from which they flowed had - correctly - only one assigned.

Cheers,

Helmar

42 minutes ago, Helmar said:

There should be NO way that any page has more than one master page allocated. NO WAY.

It is an intended capability that a page can have multiple Master Pages.

You can even see this in the Interface. When you assign a new Master Page to a page you have a choice of Replacing the prior Masters, or Adding it.

43 minutes ago, Helmar said:

I dunno if there is such a thing as "no master"

Yes, there is. A document page can have no Masters, 1 Master, or multiple Masters. This is all standard processing, in both V1 and V2.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

It is an intended capability that a page can have multiple Master Pages.

You can even see this in the Interface. When you assign a new Master Page to a page you have a choice of Replacing the prior Masters, or Adding it.

Yes, there is. A document page can have no Masters, 1 Master, or multiple Masters. This is all standard processing, in both V1 and V2.

Well, THAT explains it. Thanks, Walt, for the pointer. Limited thinking on my behalf. 🙂

Cheers,

Helmar

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

14 minutes ago, Helmar said:

PS: That double allocation should be OPTIONAL and one should be prompted, because this is clearly not the norm. Just saying... 🙂

It is optional. And it defaults to replacing when you assign a Master to a document page or to another Master.

-- Walt
PC:

Being able to apply multiple masters is a great feature. I apply two masters to every page - one for the layout and one for the section/chapter. My layout master has my text frames while my section/chapter masters have different footers and side tabs.

But the point is that generated pages by shift clicking the overset icon will use the same master(s) as that page.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

11 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Being able to apply multiple masters is a great feature. I apply two masters to every page - one for the layout and one for the section/chapter. My layout master has my text frames while my section/chapter masters have different footers and side tabs.

Looking at it from this POV that makes perfect sense - thank you for enlightening me.

But the point is that generated pages by shift clicking the overset icon will use the same master(s) as that page.

And they don't / or didn't.  They were based off "running pages", and were generated as "running pages" and "blank", hence my bewilderment. The shift-click on the overset icon - in general - is such an awesome feature!

I am experiencing a similar problem on Windows that is not answered in these responses. Sorry if this is not the best place to post this, but it seemed related.

I am creating slides for church worship. The top three images show three master pages I use. (Each is based on the one above but only has one master page assigned to it), An example page (with only "Left Frame with Text" master page assigned), and the layers panel when viewing that page. All as expected.

When I shift click the text-flow element, it creates the pages needed, but, as the bottom 3 images show, the new pages have all three master pages assigned and are covering the new "Left Frame with Text" layer. I have to now go to each page and delete the extra layers to see what I expected and what version 1 always gave me.

Hopefully that makes sense and you can help me avoid having to go through dozens of slides every week deleting layers that I never saw when I did the exact same thing in version 1 for the past 2+ years.

FlowTextBehavior.thumb.png.2118d06d8ed887cfb308d93bcfbe2297.png

1 hour ago, Norm Dietz said:

I am experiencing a similar problem on Windows that is not answered in these responses. Sorry if this is not the best place to post this, but it seemed related.

I am creating slides for church worship. The top three images show three master pages I use. (Each is based on the one above but only has one master page assigned to it), An example page (with only "Left Frame with Text" master page assigned), and the layers panel when viewing that page. All as expected.

When I shift click the text-flow element, it creates the pages needed, but, as the bottom 3 images show, the new pages have all three master pages assigned and are covering the new "Left Frame with Text" layer. I have to now go to each page and delete the extra layers to see what I expected and what version 1 always gave me.

Hopefully that makes sense and you can help me avoid having to go through dozens of slides every week deleting layers that I never saw when I did the exact same thing in version 1 for the past 2+ years.

I've duplicated the bug you reported and created a demonstration document for Serif.

Multi Masters.afpub

• Just as with your document, I created 3 masters - Master B has Master A applied to it. Master C has master B applied to it - there is a text frame on Master C. Page 1 has Master C applied to it.
  • I shift+clicked the overset icon on page 1 and Publisher created the required pages but the created pages all had masters A, B, and C applied to them instead of just master C.

Before

1359815006_Screenshot2023-01-11at9_10_02PM.thumb.png.0d9718c8a8be182c9d0f6d8eda54ce29.png

After

1581518190_Screenshot2023-01-11at9_09_47PM.thumb.png.ba8b49935fa08a99a702d01a3153358b.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

2 hours ago, Norm Dietz said:

The only workaround I can suggest is to change the master setup. Instead of applying master A to B and master B to C, apply masters A, B, and C to page 1. But if you're re-using previously created documents this could be difficult to modify.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

The only workaround I can suggest is to change the master setup. Instead of applying master A to B and master B to C, apply masters A, B, and C to page 1. But if you're re-using previously created documents this could be difficult to modify.

Thanks for the file submission and the suggestion. I'll give it some more thought and see what works best. Before I discovered the shift-click functionality I just created the new slides myself and linked them up manually. Then I moved to templates with extra pages that were pre-linked and just deleted the extra ones.

I appreciate the quick response.

6 hours ago, Helmar said:

Glad to see this being picked up and logged. Thank you!

It's not picked up and logged yet, as only Serif staff can do that. But it is at least explained, so they'll be able to do that when they get to this topic.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...