You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I mask part of an image using Source Layer Ranges of Blend Modes or Luminosity Range Mask

I'm trying to add the carrying case in top of the dark basement image. I have tried using Source Layer Ranges and also Luminosity Range Mask and get about the same result. That is the black border of the carrying case disappears which is intended, but what is not intended is that the black handles also becomes transparent (look at the red circles on the image). I try to apply a mask and paint to add or remove that area but I can make more area transparent but not the contrary. I don´t manage to make black handles solid black again.

Of course I could copy and paste the handle area and move it a layer towards the top. But then I could also could have selected all the black color surrounding the carrying case and just erase it.

Is there another way of doing this or what else can I try.

One other question: The dark basement is an image I purchased license from Adobe Stock and don´t know if it is ok to place it here or should I erase it afterwards. Anyhow no one can use it much, as I have place other images in top.

Blend Options - Source Layer Ranges.JPG

Carrying cases.jpg

Good morning, @RogerFx. I noticed that your question has gone unanswered for quite a long time, and thought I'd chime in. This might be an ideal time to use a Compound Mask. You can mask the case (but leave the handles) by creating two separate mask layers. In my example (below) I have a dark room (with a red Recolor adjustment to make it easier to see) and a second layer that contains your case. First, use the Luminosity Range Mask on the Case layer, just as you've done in your screenshot. This will get rid of the black background, and will also let the background show through that central portion (where the white bars are). Add a second mask to the Case – a regular mask – and paint Black over the handles. Now, you can select the Case layer and add a Compound Mask. Drag both the Luminosity Range mask and the Regular hand-drawn mask onto the Compound Mask, leaving the compounding method to "Add." That should get you the result you're after, and both the masks remain editable.

EDIT - The second mask should not be a white mask painted with black. Instead it is a black mask, painted with white over the handles. When you compound this with the Luminosity Range mask, the white areas “Add” and allow the handles to be shown.

compound mask.jpg

Edited by smadell
Corrected instruction…

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17