SLowmo75

Wacom update issues.

Hi, putting this in bugs, but I've got a feeling that it's possibly Wacom's problem, not Affinity's?

I've noticed this since El Capitan, but I'm not 100% sure, maybe I've only just noticed it and it was there all along, but my hunch is that it's since EC...

While using a Wacom tablet (maybe any tablet??), (also, I've got 2 models, one at work, one at home, so it's not model specific)...

There is no 'live' update to any slider that you drag. This happens in all dialogs I have tried, whether it's as simple as layer opacity, or dragging points around on a curves adjustment.

If you do the same stuff with a mouse, the image updates as quickly as it is able to, so you can just hold the mouse, make your adjustment, wait a few milliseconds and continue dragging to audition different amounts of your slider slidings.

But doing the same stuff with a Wacom tablet, you MUST let go of the slider before you see ANY change in the image, making it a much less fluid process.

As I have said, this happens on EVERY slider, so the end result is that using Affinity Photo or Designer with a Wacom tablet is a FAR less fluid experience than it should be. And I can't stand using a mouse for pretty much anything these days, so would welcome any solution with open arms!!

Would appreciate anyone else with tablets, Wacom or not, to give this a try and let me know if you are experiencing the same issue?

I've already contacted Wacom about the general performance of the tablet since the El Capitan update, but haven't heard anything from them for a week now, so not holding my breath for them to jump on it.

Thanks for listening :]

Wayne

Yes, your quite right and no you’re not the only one to be having this problem.

It’s not just moving sliders for me either, the Patch tool is just unworkable with my Wacom Intuos4. As you say, for us who prefer to use a tablet the whole experience is less than fluid.
Actually there are a couple of other threads about this problem elsewhere on the forums here but sadly no comment from the devs about a solution so far :(

macOS 10.14.5  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thanks Mark, kind of glad it's not just me, but it is a big shame too :[

Any idea about the El Capitan thing? I've been waiting for Wacom to produce a driver update,  but it's all quiet there for a good 6 months now.

The latest Wacom driver is 6.3.15-3 for my Intuos4 which they say covers OSX10.11.
But I’m inclined to think the issue is maybe within Affinity Photo as it’s the only app I’m experiencing problems with my tablet in.

macOS 10.14.5  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thanks Chris, I trust you're listening, unlike some I could mention (***cough**Pixelmator!***).

Interestingly, I've just noticed that the Tablet DOES give live updates in Raw Develop mode!

Would that help with diagnosis at all?

Cheers

Wayne

Yes, same here as well. Glad I found this thread! The live update was one of the big attractions to Affinity for me. Is not nice to have such a rewarding interface feedback function taken away – poof – just like that. Hope you guys can fix it. Cheers.

Wondering if there's an ETA on this issue? Devs?

Just an idea would be nice - I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed having to audition colour changes with my mouse. It feels pretty horrid compared to being able to use a pen!

Cheers

Wayne

In addition to the already noted …

Wacom Intuos 4, Driver 6.3.16-12 (and last few versions): Pen side switches don’t behave as expected.

Using Affinity Designer 1.4.1, seeing same issue in latest 1.4.2 beta.

Edited by sfparker

Dear Affinity,

since this bug is a major problem for many of your customers using pen and tablet, I hoped, the issue (no update/preview while moving sliders with a pen) would be addressed in the version 1.4.2 update. But unfortunately not.

Could you please make a forecast if and when this behavior will be fixed?

Thank you very much!

Berin

Hallo,

das selbe Problem habe ich auch.
Bis heute hat nur der Wechsel vom Stiftmodus in den Mausmodus geholfen.

post-25477-0-11403100-1467884747_thumb.png
Ist zwar eine Umgewöhnung aber der Vorteil der Live-Vorschau überwiegt.

Grüße

Hey all, just had a revelation and now have a good workaround until the sliders live update with Wacoms is sorted for real!!...

So, finally getting round to realising that you can also scrub through values while holding the TITLE of the slider - this also works in the HSV, RGB etc sliders for an shape's colour!

So, although you won't get a live update while dragging the Hue slider in HSV mode (although S and V DO live update anyway), but you WILL get a LIVE update if you drag the H, which is the slider's TITLE!!!

So,

So, I can finally not have to keep switching between mouse and pen just to get a smooth experience when trying new colours :D Very happy!

So, just one more so.

Actually, have just realised that there are only 2 sliders that really have this issue - Hue, on the HSL colour dialog ((which I now have the above workaround for) (ALL other colour dialog sliders live update fine)), and the Opacity slider of the current layer, at the top of the layers panel. Unfortunately dragging the title has no effect on this slider, so it looks like I'll still need my mouse for that one. Strange that it's only these 2 though?

Thanks

Wayne

Hello shillyar and welcome to the Affinity forums :)
Sadly this has been a long standing issue for us tablet users and still remains to be fixed :(
There has been some improvement in the latest beta4 version for some of the Live Layer Adjustment sliders but otherwise no real progress yet.
See my post in the beta forum here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24259-affinity-photo-customer-beta-15-beta-4/p=114812

I also have this problem. As far as I can tell it requires a "mouse up" command to actually execute. Seems like a relatively simple fix in the coding to reverse that so slightly surprising it is apparently so hard to fix. After playing with AP for a while I think it's a good bit of software and certainly as my ageing CS6 version of PS begins to creak at the seams it will be my preferred option.

Needing a MouseUp would seem feasible, apart from the fact that when you do this with a mouse (and enjoy a live update) you are actually holding the  MouseDown the whole time!?