You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ruler (Measurement) tool in Affinity Photo !

You can draw out a rectangle--before the mouse is released, the dimensions are shown near the cursor. It probably would be nice to have an official tool, though. I looked for one but didn't find it (in AP).

Workspace rulers are already available and can be turned on in the View menu.

The purpose of my question about a "Ruler Tool" is so that I can re-scale objects in the program by measuring the object and than re-scale it to the dimensions and scale I like. It also would be handy to make a menu in "Document">"Resize Document">also in % !! I work a lot with drawings and graphics, and instead of using the oversized and overweighted PS I would like to do this in Affinity Photo, which has a much smaller footprint !!

• Staff

Hi JohnMGD,

You can also perform math operations inside the input fields. I know it's not you are requesting here but it may help in some situations. Check Affinity Designer/Photo Help ▸ Workspace ▸ More ▸ Expressions for field input, for details about what expressions are supported.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello AbePralle,

What you're describing would be just what I need for a measurement tool, but I'm not sure where you're seeing the length measurement. The only things that change with the drawing tool (in the Transform window) are the X and Y coordinates. I don't see a distance value, and the X and Y coordinates don't help much when you're measuring a line that is not vertical or horizontal.  Is there another Info window I am not seeing?

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

1 hour ago, The-Design-Guy said:

I don't see a distance value, and the X and Y coordinates don't help much when you're measuring a line that is not vertical or horizontal.

What's stopping you from rotating a copy of that line to get its right size from the horizontal or vertical ruler or indeed from the Transform Window.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps discussed elsewhere and perhaps a little off topic here, but my main use of the Ruler tool in Photoshop (CS6) is to quickly straighten an image. Using the ruler, I connect two point within the image that I want to define the horizon (or vertical), then click "Straighten Layer" button

Affinity seems to require the 2-3 steps of setting a guide and then transforming the layer with the Move tool to match the angle (then deleting the guide if necessary). Not too much work, but could be faster.

7 minutes ago, prophet said:

Perhaps discussed elsewhere and perhaps a little off topic here, but my main use of the Ruler tool in Photoshop (CS6) is to quickly straighten an image. Using the ruler, I connect two point within the image that I want to define the horizon (or vertical), then click "Straighten Layer" button

The Crop Tool has a Straighten function that works like that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, prophet said:

Ah, found it. Very nice. Thanks @walt.farrell

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, The-Design-Guy said:

What you're describing would be just what I need for a measurement tool, but I'm not sure where you're seeing the length measurement. The only things that change with the drawing tool (in the Transform window) are the X and Y coordinates. I don't see a distance value, and the X and Y coordinates don't help much when you're measuring a line that is not vertical or horizontal.  Is there another Info window I am not seeing?

I'm a bit late to the party here, but as @AbePralle said, it's the Info panel you need to be looking at, not the Transform panel. If you click and drag (with the pen tool in Line Mode), it shows you the length (D) in realtime. I can confirm it works beautifully.

If only Designer had an Info panel!!