You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create Transparent Noise

Would the following work for you in APhoto;
1: Add a new pixel layer above the target layer and fill with pure white.
2: Set this layer’s blend mode to Multiply.
3: With the white layer selected go to Filters > Noise > Add Noise… and adjust to taste.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Ok, so I was actually able to solve this myself. If anyone else is interested, the key is to use a Procedural Texture on solid black (Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Colors > Procedural Texture). From there the equation is just

noisei(x,y)*0.5

Where 0.5 is the intensity of the noise. Make sure just the alpha channel is selected. Also make sure that transparent background is enabled (Document > Transparent Background).

4 minutes ago, markw said:

Would the following work for you in APhoto;
1: Add a new pixel layer above the target layer and fill with pure white.
2: Set this layer’s blend mode to Multiply.
3: With the white layer selected go to Filters > Noise > Add Noise… and adjust to taste.

It is just solid white when I try.

6 minutes ago, FutureLights said:

It is just solid white when I try.

Hum... that's very odd? Works every time here🤔
But if your other method gets you to where you want to be then all is good, go with that😎

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

@FutureLights and @markw : both solutions work well but @FutureLights is a transparent overlay : nice !

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0