You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MSI Installer upadate?

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Are you using the already built exe files in the unzipped download or trying to enter the commands in a CLI editor?

Just trying the exe file. The commands as I understood are then written after the exe;
It would in my case look like this; E:\Documents\affinityworkarounds\aflaunch.exe - a Publisher2 -b Retail

This command stuff after the exe is not working in any program I tried to connect with.

What would be great and helpful is the below solution where you just rename the exe file to make it work with each program.
It would be great if Serif offered this or a similar solution.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

On 1/19/2023 at 8:09 AM, Patrick Connor said:

We are not yet finished with all our testing of these but they have passed initial testing and are ready for use to outside testers. 

These UNSANDBOXED (MSI/EXE) installers are available to use, hosted on Dropbox while we complete our testing.  IF you would like to try these please do so, but as I say they are currently unofficial.

Affinity Designer 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Photo 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Publisher 2.0.3.1688

I think that these will soon be replaced with official 2.0.4 ones but you are welcome to use these and @ me with what you find.

You can simultaneously have BOTH the Sandboxed (MSIX) and the Unsandboxed (MSI/EXE) installed, but note they are hard to tell apart.

You cannot run a mixture of both MSIX and MSI, at the same time that will NOT work.

Thanks @PatricKConnor I’ll give them a try!

8 hours ago, myclay said:

Just trying the exe file. The commands as I understood are then written after the exe;
It would in my case look like this; E:\Documents\affinityworkarounds\aflaunch.exe - a Publisher2 -b Retail

This command stuff after the exe is not working in any program I tried to connect with.

What would be great and helpful is the below solution where you just rename the exe file to make it work with each program.
It would be great if Serif offered this or a similar solution.

There's a completely reworked and much cleaner variant of this code on my github, although to be fair, I'd suggest anyone just use the test 2.0.3 MSI installer instead. No reason to use the MSIX anymore. 

Thank you very, very much for the exe-Installer! Can you tell me, whether the exe-installer will be a standard in future. We are testing your graphic-suite in our marketing department at the moment. I'm the administrator and i'll have to check the technical specs.

Our company is a bank with behind a big data center. Because of our security settings we can't open our firewall and aren't able to use the msix-installer.

The Firewall is the reason why we can not use the Adobe Cloud solutions anymore. In Germany there are about 700 banks with the same datacenter/security settings/problems. This could be a market for serif!!!! ;-)

I managed to make a firewall rule for the activation process. But I can't download the templates/updates. Usually there is a proxy tab in the settings of other programs, where we can enter username,password,proxy and port for updates.

If you want to sell licences to companies, please think about their security restrictions.

Regularly EXE/MSI-Updates I can download with my serif account and transfer to the secured network of our company would be a first great step!

I love your software! It's amazing! Please fulfill our wish! We are not the only company behind a secure firewall... 🙂  

• Staff
18 minutes ago, VRUser said:

Can you tell me, whether the exe-installer will be a standard in future....

Regularly EXE/MSI-Updates I can download with my serif account....

Yes and yes, this from my announcement post 10 mins ago

These installers will be made for all future V2 release builds going forward and will autoupdate from within the application (checking for updates on each run, like the sandboxed version does)

and

LICENCES AND DOWNLOADS pages in your account

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 1/23/2023 at 11:40 PM, Patrick Connor said:

2.0.4 Sandboxed MSIX and 2.0.4 Unsandboxed MSI/EXE will be available very soon. The same fixes will be in both

That's excellent news. Can you PLEASE when they become available advise of this in a new, pinned, topic/thread.

@Patrick Connor

I'm afraid this is release is too late for me.  I did try to buy Photo 2 but the Serif systems repeatedly declined my card and no one at Serif seemed interested in resolving this.  All I got were standard text replies to my emails that showed no one had read my messages.  Similarly, I only got one standard text response from Serif here:

Oh and when I tried to call Serif, I was cut off after an automatic voice told me, "The office is closed."

Hey ho, I can't buy what Serif won't sell.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, stuck said:

....Hey ho, I can't buy what Serif won't sell.

Sorry for your poor customer experience, that is not good enough

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

29 minutes ago, stuck said:

I'm afraid this is release is too late for me.

Maybe I'm missing something, but somehow I don't see the connection of your problem with the availability of the MSI installation.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:40 PM, Patrick Connor said:

2.0.4 Sandboxed MSIX and 2.0.4 Unsandboxed MSI/EXE will be available very soon. The same fixes will be in both

I have downloaded the MSI versions and installed Photo.  I had been wondering if the installer would remove the MSIX (app) version but it didn't. Do I uninstall the app versions before or after running the MSI install?

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Do I uninstall the app versions before or after running the MSI install?

It does not make any difference. You can leave the MSIX installed until you are confident in your choice. You cannot use both simultaneously (and you cannot use or a mix of installer type across the suite), but having them installed would only confuse because of having so many options in "Open With..." for example

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

8 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It does not make any difference. You can leave the MSIX installed until you are confident in your choice. You cannot use both simultaneously (and you cannot use or a mix of installer type across the suite), but having them installed would only confuse because of having so many options in "Open With..." for example

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have confidence that the msi version will not introduce any (additional?) issues that the msix version has so I will install, do a quick test run then uninstall the app version.

Again, Thanks for your help.

FWIW: I purchased the v2 Universal Licence a few days ago, the payment went through without a hitch and I installed the MSIX versions. There were no problems with the installations. Everything migrated from v1, as expected.

Today, I uninstalled them and installed the MSI versions instead. Again, no problems. Everything as it should be. I've just finished customising the layouts, tools and shortcuts, as I prefer them. (Took me around 20 minutes).

I don't want to speak too soon, but, so far, everything seems to be OK! 🙂

Thanks Serif! 👍

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just now, PaulEC said:

Today, I uninstalled them and installed the MSI versions instead. Again, no problems. I've just finished customising the layouts, tools and layouts, as I prefer them. (Took me around 20 minutes).

Couldn't you have just copied over the various settings files and Workspace folder before uninstalling the Msix version? I don't think I had even to do that as I installed the exe/msi version before deleting the msix version.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, henryg said:

Couldn't you have just copied over the various settings files and Workspace folder before uninstalling the Msix version? I don't think I had even to do that as I installed the exe/msi version before deleting the msix version.

Maybe I should have said, I hadn't bothered with these when I first installed the MSIX versions. I was copying them manually from v1 so I could make a few tweaks along the way! My point was, that it was quite quick to do, and not really a problem. But, certainly, if you want everything exactly the same, just copying over would be a bit quicker!

Quite honestly, so many people have been reporting problems with v2 that I've been taking the transition from v1 fairly slowly! 😉

(EDIT: Just to clarify, I was talking about things like the UI layout, keyboard shortcuts etc, rather than content and so on that can be automatically migrated. I hadn't done this when I first installed the MSIX version.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

39 minutes ago, henryg said:

Just a thought.

You wouldn't need to. The MSI/EXE and the MSIX versions use exactly the same support directories (which hold the user-related options).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry for your poor customer experience, that is not good enough

@Patrick Connor

Yes, it was a very disappointing, irritating even, customer experience.  Sadly though your bland answer does nothing to change my poor experience does it?

Is someone who can correct the problem at your end, i.e. the problem that that is making your system try to process my transaction as a recurring transaction instead of as a one off purchase, actually going to reach out to me and tell me that they've fixed things and so I am OK to try again AND that, because this problem started before the launch offer ended, I'll still get Photo 2 at the launch price?

I suspect not.

• Staff
1 hour ago, henryg said:

Couldn't you have just copied over the various settings files and Workspace folder before uninstalling the Msix version?

No need they are shared, hence you must not run them simultaneously

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
45 minutes ago, stuck said:

Sadly though your bland answer does nothing to change my poor experience does it?

As head of QA it is not something I can change, sorry . On a release day I have a lot of other pressing responsibilities so I simply tried not to make it any worse.

45 minutes ago, stuck said:

I'll still get Photo 2 at the launch price?

Email AffinityOrders@serif.com, they will see the train of communications and assist you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

...Email AffinityOrders@serif.com, they will see the train of communications and assist you.

@Patrick Connor

Except it was that address that did not help me when I emailed them after my first two attempts failed.  I've already told them what my card provider told me, that the fault is with the way Serif are trying to process my purchase.  They simply pointed me at the failed orders page on the website and did not reply when I told them that didn't help.

What makes you think they will help if I try again?

• Staff

In that case I will find your ticket myself and escalate it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd