You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MSI Installer upadate?

• Staff

We are still testing them internally and with a few trusted external users, and they have been found to need more work. We expect the issues found they can be fixed and then they will be released, perhaps as soon as next week. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are still testing them internally and with a few trusted external users, and they have been found to need more work. We expect the issues found they can be fixed and then they will be released, perhaps as soon as next week. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.

@Patrick Connor

thanks for the update.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

So, no new trial within the launch offer period?

Is there still a two weeks money back guaranty then?

If I buy on the 14th I would be frustrated to find out the following week that the msi version is as buggy and crash prone on my new PC as the current 2.0.3 is for many other users.

On my old notebook V2.0.0 trial worked ok, but following the forum with all those post about crashes, slowness, bugs I fear buying the software without prior testing is like gambling.

@cgidesign

I hear you. Not all that happy about the amount of problems that people seem to be having with 2.0.3. The solution to lagging and slowness is to turn of Hardware Acceleration. Kinda defeating the point of it. 

I really hope that when the MSI installers are released they have some of these things ironed out. 

Looking at the list of issues on the forum, i cant possibly use it for work. To many bugs. Fingers crossed they squash them soon.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

30 minutes ago, cgidesign said:

If I buy on the 14th I would be frustrated to find out the following week that the msi version is as buggy and crash prone on my new PC as the current 2.0.3 is for many other users.

On my old notebook V2.0.0 trial worked ok, but following the forum with all those post about crashes, slowness, bugs I fear buying the software without prior testing is like gambling.

You can buy it now for an excellent discounted price, and trust that they'll get the issues worked out.

Or you can wait until they're worked out, and buy for the normal price. Or wait until there is a sale, and buy for a discounted price,  but not as good as you could have had.

But yes, there will still be the 2-week return period from whenever you make the purchase.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
1 hour ago, cgidesign said:

The 2.0.3 MSI (unsandboxed) install puts the exact same software build (all the same EXE/DLL build files and support files) as the 2.0.3 MSIX (sandboxed) install. The ONLY difference is the installation technology. Even if the EXE/MSI installer was available today, the resultant software would act as your current MSIX Installation, only you can choose which directory to install the files into (unsandboxed) and a few other minor differences. 

Fixes to the software will come in 2.0.4/2.0.5/2.1.0 etc and those fixes will be available in both install technologies, as unsandboxed MSI and sandboxed MSIX.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The 2.0.3 MSI (unsandboxed) install puts the exact same software build (all the same EXE/DLL build files and support files) as the 2.0.3 MSIX (sandboxed) install. The ONLY difference is the installation technology. Even if the EXE/MSI installer was available today, the resultant software would act as your current MSIX Installation, only you can choose which directory to install the files into (unsandboxed) and a few other minor differences. 

Fixes to the software will come in 2.0.4/2.0.5/2.1.0 etc and those fixes will be available in both install technologies, as unsandboxed MSI and sandboxed MSIX.

@Patrick Connor

Thank you for the updated information. All we can ask for . Things always take time to work out, but its good to know whats coming.

Gary

• Staff
17 minutes ago, cgidesign said:

Has this changed or did I just had I a wrong date in my mind?

no it has not changed, it was always the 24th

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor 
I think the confusion stems from this forum post in which @Ashposted;

Offer period

In case you didn’t see, I’m pleased to confirm we have decided to run this initial launch offer until 14th December to give everyone the best chance possible to get it if they wish / have a decent amount of time to trial it. 

Not that I would ever complain about this, it´s kind and cool that the 40% off got extended!

EDIT;
looking at the Website, it currently says until 25.January 2023

image.png.a2b127b350a12685f0d890dbaaf9299a.png

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

25 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

no it has not changed, it was always the 24th

Shouldn't usually be overall that difficult for people to just take a look at https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/  in their webbrowser, where they then at least three times can clearly see ...

offer1.jpg.1e126d9c31fe66c0c02e12127c406fd4.jpg

offer2.jpg.6aca5b9137e073eec7cafe628903d89d.jpg

offer3.jpg.7a6b677b6ea76450e58a1c927e2cc679.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We are not yet finished with all our testing of these but they have passed initial testing and are ready for use to outside testers. 

These UNSANDBOXED (MSI/EXE) installers are available to use, hosted on Dropbox while we complete our testing.  IF you would like to try these please do so, but as I say they are currently unofficial.

Affinity Designer 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Photo 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Publisher 2.0.3.1688

I think that these will soon be replaced with official 2.0.4 ones but you are welcome to use these and @ me with what you find.

You can simultaneously have BOTH the Sandboxed (MSIX) and the Unsandboxed (MSI/EXE) installed, but note they are hard to tell apart.

You cannot run a mixture of both MSIX and MSI, at the same time that will NOT work.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are not yet finished with all our testing of these but they have passed initial testing and are ready for use to outside testers. 

These UNSANDBOXED (MSI/EXE) installers are available to use, hosted on Dropbox while we complete our testing.  IF you would like to try these please do so, but as I say they are currently unofficial.

Affinity Designer 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Photo 2.0.3.1688

Affinity Publisher 2.0.3.1688

I think that these will soon be replaced with official 2.0.4 ones but you are welcome to use these and @ me with what you find.

You can simultaneously have BOTH the Sandboxed (MSIX) and the Unsandboxed (MSI/EXE) installed, but note they are hard to tell apart.

You cannot run a mixture of both MSIX and MSI, at the same time that will NOT work.

@Patrick Connor

Thank you Patrick. 

Question for you on installing these. When they are updated, do i need to install the OFFICIAL version or will these installs update to 2.0.4?

One other thing, if i find issues, where do i report them? or just tag as as MSI installer?

Thanks

Gary

• Staff

I am not sure, but I think so.

I will ask for the 2.0.3 -> 2.0.4 update to be done through the official autoupdate process (the process that will work for 2.0.4 -> 2.0.5) however it may not be released the same day as the MSIX patch. The databases are independent (and the Unsandboxed patches will always be a full install (like V1 was) not a small delta patch like the MSIX is)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

I am not sure, but I think so.

I will ask for the 2.0.3 -> 2.0.4 update to be done through the official autoupdate process (the one that will work for 2.0.4 -> 2.0.5) however it may not be released the same day as the MSIX patch 

@Patrick Connor

Copy that.

Thank you

Gary

@Patrick Connor

Hello Patrick, 

So please tell me where i should put info about v2 MSI installer questions.

So far Installed easily where i want and has launched fine. 

I have seen people talking about the installed copying or the option to choose the v1 setup and addons. I cannot find this option.

Please advise.

Gary

• Staff
1 minute ago, thegary said:

I have seen people talking about the installed copying or the option to choose the v1 setup and addons. I cannot find this option.

When the MSIX first ran you were asked if you wanted to import your content from V1, (BUT NOT SETTINGS) if you have already run the MSIX then you will already have answered this and your Unsandboxed (MSI) will already have the same content as 2.0.3 MSIX (they share it)

If you ignored that question you can CTRL+RUN and choose "Reset Content Migration Prompt"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

When the MSIX first ran you were asked if you wanted to import your content from V1, (BUT NOT SETTINGS) if you have already run the MSIX then you will already have answered this and your Unsandboxed (MSI) will already have the same content as 2.0.3 MSIX (they share it)

If you ignored that question you can CTRL+RUN and choose "Reset Content Migration Prompt"

@Patrick Connor

I have never installed the MSIX files. Not allowed for work.

First time installing  MSI . Only directory to install option.

Did the CTRL option worked. Wasn't present on install though

Looks to have imported everything a treat. Nice option .THANKS!

Much faster launch, better response sooner. So far so good.. Will try and break it though.. I have time before my next contract.

I have noticed one thing. In Preferences. The text is grey. In v1 it was white ( much easier to read ). I tried changing the interface options for text but still not a clean and easy to read as V1. 

Gary

@Patrick Connor

Brush drawing speed is very slow compared to v1. Tried turning off hardware acceleration , no difference.

Also the BASIC brushed group is now gone after importing v1 options.

If you turn brush from ROPE mode to STABILZER mode , ( Brush lag eliminated ) ( vector brush tool only )

Gary

21 minutes ago, thegary said:

Also the BASIC brushed group is now gone after importing v1 options.

In which App and Persona?

Basic only exists in the Photo app and the Pixel Persona of Designer, even in 1.10. It was deleted from the Designer Persona (vector brushes) of Designer in 1.8.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In which App and Persona?

Basic only exists in the Photo app and the Pixel Persona of Designer, even in 1.10. It was deleted from the Designer Persona (vector brushes) of Designer in 1.8.

@walt.farrell

Hello Walt,

Its in Designer in vector mode. My mistake if there wasn't a basic brush pack. V1.8 , crazy can't remember that happening.

Thanks for the update.

Gary

19 minutes ago, thegary said:

Thanks for the update.

You're welcome, Gary.

By the way, if you want the Basic (and some other) legacy brushes, you can find instructions for downloading them here: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/get-legacy-affinity-brushes/

-- Walt
PC: