You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Difficult to Identify Groups in Layers in Affinity 2

Recently updated to Affinity Designer 2 and I love it except for one thing. It's very difficult to identify groups now and groups within groups now (which I have a lot of). This was so clear in Affinity Design 1. Could groups not be made bolder making them easier to identify? Have pasted 2 images to show the difference between the two.

Affinity Designer 1 Groups.png

Affinity Designer 2 Groups.png

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

I have to agree, some things are best left alone (not broke, don't fix), and this is one case when less is definitely more. I think there are probably things that users have been pleading for that would have been better addressed than twiddling with the UI; after all, 'go faster stripes' don't improve performance or productivity one iota.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

7 hours ago, Martigny said:

Could groups not be made bolder making them easier to identify?

If you mean the disclosure icons that were triangles in circles in V1 & are now just v-shapes, that is just one example of the many places in the UI where low contrast makes it harder to tell how something is set, a problems that never got fixed very well in V1 & is now even worse in V2.

There are now options to not show group thumbnails so you just see a folder icon, but that does not help much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If you mean the disclosure icons that were triangles in circles in V1 & are now just v-shapes, that is just one example of the many places in the UI...

But even with more visible icons, how would you distinguish between a Group and something else with child layers? 

I think that's what the question is about.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But even with more visible icons, how would you distinguish between a Group and something else with child layers? 

That's exactly what I mean Walt. Thank you.  I had a big file I was working on today. In the end I had to copy the groups etc and paste them into AD 1 again. Now I can work on them easily.

Affinity? What were you thinking of?

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

How do you do that in V1? Consider that in either V1 or V2, a parent layer can have a long enough name that you cannot not see all of it, much less the parenthetical layer type suffix V1 offers.

Instead of V1's suffix, V2 now has an option to show the object type as a small icon along with the v-shaped disclosure button, but again, the contrast is low & these small icons are not very easy to tell apart. So it is an improvement in one respect (because its always visible no matter how long the layer type might be) but it needs work to make those icons more visible & easier to tell what object type it is.

For now, my lame workaround (such as it is) is to set the tooltip delay to close to zero & hover the pointer over the type icon whenever I can't otherwise tell what kind of layer it is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How do you do that in V1? Consider that in either V1 or V2, a parent layer can have a long enough name that you cannot not see all of it, much less the parenthetical layer type suffix V1 offers.

Instead of V1's suffix, V2 now has an option to show the object type as a small icon along with the v-shaped disclosure button, but again, the contrast is low & these small icons are not very easy to tell apart. So it is an improvement in one respect (because its always visible no matter how long the layer type might be) but it needs work to make those icons more visible & easier to tell what object type it is.

For now, my lame workaround (such as it is) is to set the tooltip delay to close to zero & hover the pointer over the type icon whenever I can't otherwise tell what kind of layer it is.

Thank you RCR ... This is more than my question was about. Thank you for your response though

3 minutes ago, Martigny said:

Thank you RCR ... This is more than my question was about. Thank you for your response though

I know it is far from ideal, but instead of copying everything & opening it in V1 (which will break a few V2-only features if you use them), maybe try my workaround of setting the tooltip delay to close to zero & when there is any doubt about what object type a layer is, briefly hover the pointer over the V2 object type icon. It should take less time overall than copying stuff to V1 & won't break any new V2 features.

As for what they were thinking, I am fairly sure they were trying to come up with something that would work with layers with custom names too long to show V1's object type suffixes, which some V1 users complained about, particularly for those using a relatively narrow Layers panel & several nested layers so there was progressively less space for  custom names or even the complete parenthetical object type suffixes.

I think it was a legitimate complaint if for no other reason that it discouraged users from using long custom names in complex projects unless they were willing to use a very wide layers panel, which in turn left less room for the project & window.

Affinity Photo