You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Auto hide chapter name?

Hi everyone,

In Affinity Publisher v2, I've created a design for a non-profit organization. The document I'm working on has multiple chapters, each of which occupies a different amount of pages. To make it easier for the reader to see which chapter they're currently reading, I've created a master page with a page header that, among other info, shows the current chapter's name.

What I'd like to do now is hide the chapter name in the page header, but only on the first page of each chapter (because that's where the chapter‘s name is written as headline). Is there any way to automatically achieve this? Or would I have to manually apply a modified master page to each chapter's first page?

Cheers
kaffeeundsalz

Myself I use a separate Master Page for this, it is a copy of the Main Master page with the Header removed. I find it both easier and quicker to apply a Master Page than to use the Context Menu and choose Edit Detached just to turn off the header in the Layers panel.

The quickest and simplest way would be to draw a white rectangle over the Title. But that is, in my opinion, just asking for trouble later on.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To add to Old Bruce's recommendation... master pages can be applied to other master pages. You can create a master page (Master 1) with the page number and any other elements you want on all pages, and create another master page (Master 2) that includes only the chapter name (running head), and then apply Master 1 to Master 2. Apply Master 1 to the first page of each chapter, and apply Master 2 to the pages where you want the running head.

Thank you both. I had hoped for an automatic solution like "don't show when this paragraph style is present on page" or "don't show when this field's name is already used on page" – quite similar to how I can limit paragraphs to e.g. odd or even pages with the "Start" parameter in the Paragraph panel's Flow Options. But I think this is not possible then. I've refined my Master Page logic with what @Brian_J suggested and it works quite well. Thanks again for your help.