You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object paste problem appears in Designer V2 (It was fine in V1)

Hi, there were some problems that irritate me for using Affinity designer V2

1. If you copy a group of objects to paste in another file, the line setting for pasted group of objects (such as line width) changed. For example, I copied a group of 5 lines of 2 pt line width, but after pasting, the line width of pasted lines changed to 0.5 pt (I used CMD-V to paste). This problem appears only if we copy objects as a group. If we copy each object separately, there is no problem. This problem is only in Designer V2. I had no problem using Affinity designer V1.

2. In V1, the objects will be pasted in the same location as they were in the original file. However, in V2, the copied objects were pasted only in the top left (I don't know if there is a setting for paste location?). It was frustrated to move the pasted object to it original location every time.

I need to re-download my old Affinity Designer 1 to make my job done. I hope Serif solve these problems as soon as possible.

PS. My original file was made in Affinity Designer 1, and I copied objects to Affinity Designer 2 files.

1 hour ago, Scientific Designer said:

My original file was made in Affinity Designer 1, and I copied objects to Affinity Designer 2 files.

ADesigner V2 can open a file from V1.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Scientific Designer,

From what I can see from testing here this seems to be down to the size / DPI of new documents in V2 compared to V1 if I paste my lines into a document that has the exact same DPI / size as my document in V1 the lines paste correctly however if the DPI / size is higher than in my original document then the lines are pasted at a smaller size and in a different location. I believe this is by design however I'm not sure so I will ask a member of our QA team to look into this.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum, the bug relates specifically to grouped lines when using both 'Scale with Object'. and 'Scale Override'..

Steps to Reproduce

• Create two A4 documents with the units set to mm

- Doc 1 - 72 dpi
- Doc 2 - 300 dpi

• On the 72 dpi document draw a series of 2pt lines
  • Create a duplicate set of 2pt lines and group the second set
  • Select both the grouped and ungrouped lines and Copy
  • Ensure 'Scale with Object' is selected in either the 'Stroke Panel' or the 'Scale Override' panel
  • Go to the 300 dpi, A4 document and Paste

Result

• The grouped lines incorrectly maintain their line weight at 2pt, i.e., they don't 'Scale with Object' when pasted to the 300 dpi document, the ungrouped lines do correctly 'Scale with Object' and their line weight is scaled by 316.67% from 2pt to 8.33pt.

However, Positionally...

This is further complicated by the positioning of grouped and non grouped lines and depends on whether the grouped lines

1. Appear to the left or the right of the non grouped lines on the canvas
  2. Appear above or below the non grouped lines in the layers panel

When the grouped lines appear below the non grouped lines in the layers panel then the pasted position of the lines in the 300 dpi document is relative to the grouped lines, i.e., the X, Y pixel position of the grouped lines is the same in both the 72 dpi and 300 dpi documents.

When the grouped lines appear above the non grouped lines in the layers panel then the pasted position of the lines in the 300 dpi document is relative to the bottom most, non grouped line in the layers panel i.e., the X, Y pixel position of the bottom most non grouped lines is the same in both the 72 dpi and 300 dpi documents.

This results in one of four different pasted positions when the combined grouped and non grouped lines are pasted between documents.

Note: This is the same behaviour in V1.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

6 hours ago, Hangman said:

The grouped lines incorrectly maintain their line weight at 2pt, the ungrouped lines correctly scale their line weight [...]

The app is misbehaving, and not only does stroke scaling of the pasted objects wrongly differ, depending on grouping versus non-grouping, but the stroke scaling also wrongly differs, depending on the 'Scale with object' state of the strokes.

In all cases of pasting, the ratio of line length to line weight should be maintained. Lines should not become fatter or thinner looking when pasted, regardless of grouping and regardless of stroke 'Scale with object' state.

When pasted into a document with physical (for example, millimetres) document units, the lines should maintain their physical length and weight, and therefore their pixels dimensions should be scaled by destinationPPI/sourcePPI. 

When pasted into a document with pixels document units, the lines should maintain their pixels length and weight, and therefore their physical dimensions should be scaled by sourcePPI/destinationPPI.