You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear all,

My colleague has a book with hundreds of footnotes, and he needs in many cases to switch the position of full stop and footnote marker. Is there any way to this with find&replace without having to do it manually? We need to do something like this:

Find: [footnote marker][full stop]

Replace: [full stop][footnote marker]

E.g. This

image.png.74a7eed71be1479de601a2aad24d91e6.png

should become like this

image.png.84cbaf48f4081b71205f5c949126301c.png

Thank you in advance.

Normally, using superscripts (for numbers) after the period is the correct way to use footnotes like this. - So the first shown footnote style (as it already is) is usually correct.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Normally, using superscripts (for numbers) after the period is the correct way to use footnotes like this. - So the first shown footnote style (as it already is) is usually correct.

Thank you v_kyr. Unfortunately, the method you mention works well when you make footnotes manually, but I can’t match them if they are inserted automatically. Here is a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.7bb6c1a183e87a34e5cd81460e65adf0.png

The style number is set to Apice, but the only matching I find with that style is only a number in the text (an exponent of 10). There are more than one hundred footnotes, but no one shows up with this kind of search.

So I tried also the normal text format superscript, without setting any character style. The result doesn’t change. It is useless to copy and paste a screenshot here because it looks quite the same as the one which I copied above.

Am I doing something wrong?

43 minutes ago, Antonio Costanzo said:

So I tried also the normal text format superscript, without setting any character style. The result doesn’t change. It is useless to copy and paste a screenshot here because it looks quite the same as the one which I copied above.

Can't check since I don't use/have Apub v2, so I've looked into it's online help instead, which talks about ...

To convert all notes of one type in your document:

1. From the Panel Preferences menu, select Convert Notes.
  2. On the dialog, set the types of note you want to convert from and to.
  3. Set Scope to Entire Document.
  4. Click OK.

To convert all notes of one type within a selection:

1. Do one of the following:
    • To convert multiple notes, select one or more text frames, or all or part of a story's text.
    • To convert an individual note, select its reference in story text, or position the insertion point within its note body.
  2. From the Panel Preferences menu, select Convert Selection to Footnotes, Convert Selection to Sidenotes or Convert Selection to Endnotes.

... did you already tried if that conversion maybe would help here?

For the find/replace stuff, don't know if footnotes etc. are now are also taken into account here or not. - You have to give it a try, best you make tryouts on a copy of the orig document, in cases that it may produce mismatch etc.

See generally also related:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thank you again, v_kyr. There are a lot of interesting things in the topics you showed to me, but nothing regarding how to match note references in the find frame. It could be that it is not possible to match note references as things are now. If we are not able to find a solution, the only thing to do is to edit [full stop][footnote reference] manually.

I'm still curious why you want the full stop to follow the footnote reference. At least in English, as v_kyr noted, the way you have it now is the more common way. 

Is it normally done differently in your language?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Off the top of my head you could try

Find

(\d+)(\.)(\s).  The white-space (\s) after the period/dot/full stop is important. it will prevent finding £12.34 and replacing it with £.1234

Replace

\2\1\3

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, Antonio Costanzo said:

Is it done in another way in English?

As v_kyr mentioned, typically it is full-stop then the footnote marker.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Off the top of my head you could try

Find

(\d+)(\.)(\s).  The white-space (\s) after the period/dot/full stop is important. it will prevent finding £12.34 and replacing it with £.1234

Replace

\2\1\3

I'm afraid that doesn't work, which I was about to post. Find will not find footnote references at all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, Antonio Costanzo said:

However, my colleague says it’s up to the preference of the editor.

There are usually common standards for this and also usually every University (or school etc.) also tells which style to use for these when writing technical papers, thesis, exams, ... etc.

51 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

There are usually common standards for this and also usually every University (or school etc.) also tells which style to use for these when writing technical papers, thesis, exams, ... etc.

Thank you for the tip, but I’m not in charge to define which standard my colleague uses. 

22 minutes ago, Antonio Costanzo said:

but I’m not in charge to define which standard my colleague uses. 

Maybe you should ask/tell & verify with him, in order to prevent unnecessary spend time here then for changing something, which is already correct into something usually wrong structured!