You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and replace a specific colour in a picture

Hello,

I would like to simply replace a specific colour in a picture. Background is that I have taken a picture of a bottle with a white background. But the white Background isn't exactly white, which is, however, important because I  want to use this picture on a website with a white background. I can't cut it out because I would loose the shadow and the picture would look odd.

I saw this feature on Corel Photo Paint and I believe it's also available in Adobe Photoshop where you could select a certain color and replace it with a color of your choice. I did not, however, find this feature on Affinity Photo (V2). That's why I would like to know if there's a similar feature available in Affinity Photo.

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 21.01.09.png

Hi @Maximilian and welcome to the forum.

It's not a 'specific colour", though. It's a range of colours (mostly light-grey-purples). Even in your screenshot I can see the stripes. And the shadow has been cropped off. If it were me, I would delete the entire background to white and then paint in a light shadow using a soft brush.

Your average punter isn't going to be too concerned about its precise placing as they focus on the bottle.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Two different methods come to mind.

1. Use the levels to lift the underexposed background up. Pull the slider from the highlights side down. I would make a rough selection of the background first because it can over-brighten the subject rather quickly. Paint back any missing shadow or smoothen the transition with the mask.

2. Use divide to remove the background tone. Select the colour of the background, add a fill layer (it will have the selected olour) and set it to "Divide". Here too, you can paint back any shadow or detail you need. 

Method 2 works best if the subject is underexposed in the same way as the background. Otherwise you'll need to edit both independently. 

• 1 year later...

With Irfanview, that I've been using for 20 years +, to change colour we can simply click on a colour in the image and replace with another colour, adjusting tolerance to cover a range. So simple! 

You can use a HSL adjustment in Photo or Designer (but there you won't have info panel).

1. add a HSL adjustment below on top
  2. Add a rectangle shape in the target color on top
  3. add to info panel color sampler. one in the target color area, on in the area you want to match. set both to "fixed position", and HSL
  4. now use the HSL adjustment. choose one of the 6 color circles matching the old color best
  5. adjust color shift so the result it roughly matches the target, either visually or numerically with info panel
  6. adjust lightness if required
  7. adjust tolerance if required

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.