You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo V2 and my Filter Forge has stopped working :(

FF 9 works for me on my Mac with V2 but the final application of the filter is very, very slow. It can take up to a minute or so before it appears in the AP document, long enough that I thought the app had hanged.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes it's FF9 that I am using mate 🙂 (I don't use mac either)

I tried the following, I took off Affinity V1 and reinstalled the trial of V2....Filter Forge still didn't work. I then uninstalled V2, put V1 back on and Filter Forge 9 works perfectly.

If I didn't use FF9 I wouldn't really be too bothered but it's just my luck this is happening 😄

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

FF 9 works for me on my Mac with V2 but the final application of the filter is very, very slow. It can take up to a minute or so before it appears in the AP document, long enough that I thought the app had hanged.

The same happens for me using FF10 in APh 2, Win 10.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

7 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

No problem here with the old ff4 version.
One needs to point to the x64 folder and maybe change the config file from false to true like;
(copy the configfile out of the x64folder>change its text and save>copy it back into the x64 folder)
clipimage.jpg.2720eb7d3d1a05b5358bf661312ab5c0.jpg

Yeah I did that and it still doesn't work but thanks anyway mate

I didn't even know that there are problems with Photo and FilterForge (10). I just pointed the new Affinity V2 apps to the folder and everything worked out of the box. I have all my Photoshop compatible plugins (free and commercial ones) in a folder structure on a different drive (not system drive). Simply because I have several programs, which use these plugins. Works like a charm and I never had any issues with any of the apps which need to start those plugins.

Maybe that's the culprit? Because Windows still restricts the access for some apps to some of the system folders here and there, inclusive user, programs and programs (x86)

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I received this message this morning from Affinity regarding the FF Internal Error message:

This is a result of us switching to MSIX installers I'm afraid as this installs the software as a Windows app which is sandboxed making the apps files hidden. This also means the app no longer uses a .EXE file so unfortunately at this point in time its not possible for it to be used as an external editor in other apps. We are working on providing a .EXE in the future to solve this problem, however at this time we don't have an ETA for when this will be available.

On Mac, Filter Forge 9 works fine for me in Affinity Photo V2, I'm on Monterey 12.6.2 still a bit laggy applying the filter, maybe 25 -30 secs but at least it works. 
806522145_Screenshot2023-01-10at11_40_41.thumb.png.ed356eb1125f40bc2279593c02b86ab0.png

Girl in a boat.zip this contains the bump map, normal, diffuse and image exports just for sample really to show it works.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

On Mac, Filter Forge 9 works fine for me in Affinity Photo V2, I'm on Monterey 12.6.2 still a bit laggy applying the filter, maybe 25 -30 secs but at least it works. 

It also works, if slowly, on my Mac running Catalina.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, AITCH said:

How have you guys got FF9 working in Affinity V2?  Fair play to you like but I just can't do it

With the Mac version of AP V2, it just seems to work without me doing anything special. If you are running the Windows version, as you seem to be, then there may be some special procedure to get it working but I have no idea what that might be.

Affinity Photo 

There is a @Filter Forge presence on this forum not sure if they can help for our windows brethren.

I wasn't going to but I thought sod it and bought FF12 (60% discount)

It works in AP2 but I definitely noticed a difference on my 8gb laptop in speed/performance when wanting the effects to be added.

Ah well I guess there's worse things to worry about in the world lol

Have a good day everyone 👍

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, AITCH said:

I wasn't going to but I thought sod it and bought FF12 (60% discount)

It works in AP2 but I definitely noticed a difference on my 8gb laptop in speed/performance when wanting the effects to be added.

Ah well I guess there's worse things to worry about in the world lol

Have a good day everyone 👍

FF13 pro here (lifetime upgrades). Does not launch from affinity at all now, cant apply filters to layers which is the whole point. Really annoying since filterforge would be the only filter i need if it worked, since it has everything, thats why i bought it, and it worked fine under windows but ofcourse not on mac which is what im using now.

Oh, and btw: I have the m2 pro (apple silicon), not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Filterforge + affinity photo = Ability to create really stunning graphics and are the designer tool that in my view lifts affinity up to be on par with photoshop, if it only worked. And it should more than anything work on mac, which is THE platform for designers etc. What are the developers on filterforge doing, ignoring this

1 hour ago, saint77 said:

Oh, and btw: I have the m2 pro (apple silicon), not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It probably does if the FF plugin has not been updated to run 'natively' on M-series Macs. To check, try launching AP after using Get Info to enable “Open using Rosetta,” as mentioned in this Apple help topic.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It probably does if the FF plugin has not been updated to run 'natively' on M-series Macs. To check, try launching AP after using Get Info to enable “Open using Rosetta,” as mentioned in this Apple help topic.

That helped (just heading to apps folder and open using rosetta), now i seem to be able to open layers.

Well ive been sitting with this for a while now testing things, things are a bit buggy but atleast it does the job somewhat. It has crashed, it is slow, things doesnt show up as they should etc, but it has some functionality in enough filters im not going to ask for a refund or something like that, its worth keeping and seeing how things develop ahead. Lets pray they get extremely good support for affinity since the two work together so well when they actually do work.