You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed Designer Image printed improperly from Publisher

Ldina

I had a problem when printing a Publisher document with a placed Designer graphic.  I created an "80-ball" for a birthday card in Designer 2.0.3 and placed it into my card, which I created in Publisher 2.0.3. The designer graphic had a drop shadow, but no background. I added the green background in Publisher. The larger screen shot shows how it should print. The smaller image in the Print Dialog Box shows how it actually did print (sorry for the small size of that screen shot). There's some weird shading around the ball itself and it looks like that shading has been clipped. The designer image was placed in Publisher without a picture frame, so there was no picture frame to cause it to be cut off like that. I printed from Publisher, then again from Publisher via the Colorsync Utility, and also an exported PDF using Acrobat. All three prints have the same issue, and it shows in their respective print preview windows.

Then, I exported a PNG of the 80-ball with a clear background from Designer and replaced the Designer file with the PNG file in the same Publisher document using the Resource Manager. This printed correctly as shown on the monitor. So, the placed PNG printed fine, but the placed Designer file did not. In the main editing window of Publisher, they both look fine. But once you go to print, you can see that the file with the placed Designer image is clipped and has extra shading, and prints exactly as show in the print dialog box. 

I had three other afdesign placed images that printed fine, and also one placed AfPhoto image that also printed fine. The Daffy Duck image on the same page was an AD image and printed as expected. Perhaps it's my 80-ball image, but I couldn't see any problem with that file.1188927643_ScreenShot2023-01-05at2_32_19PM.png.3e5dc411fd843cf4f7049fd905a49403.png2034700694_ScreenShot2023-01-05at2_38_11PM.thumb.png.3115433b9346ba80b780b5d31c869bea.png 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

20190518-IMG_4837.afphoto20190518-IMG_4837.afphotoBday Card.zipBday Card.zipI wanted to report back on this issue.

My original placed 80-ball document may have been an afdesign 1.10.5 document inside a PubliBday Card.zips.

So, I opened and reave it as an AD 2.0.3 file. My original design had the 80-ball set up as a Group, so I ungrouped and placed all the ball elements inside a Layer Container (Layer with a capital "L", as opposed to layer elements). The Drop shadow and the background were in their own separate Layer containers. I did this so I could use the Layer Visibility Overrides, which seem to need official Layer Containers to show or hide them. I replaced the 80-ball PNG image in my Publisher document (which printed up fine and looked right in the Print Preview box), with the v2.0.3 AD file. 

The same problem persists with the weird shading around the 80-ball, including the lopped off sections when placing the AD document. The placed PNG looks fine in the Print Preview window and also prints fine. This is either a bug, or I am doing something wrong. If it's me, I'd like to know what I have done wrong, so feedback is appreciated.

Hmmmm...I am getting repeated error messages when uploading my files (see error -200 msg, attached), but have tried to upload the Publisher file and all placed files. I've managed to upload all the images except the afphoto file on the front cover because I keep getting error 200. Hopefully, what I have been able to upload is enough to diagnose the problem. Thanks.

Speech Bubble 1.png

Error Code 200.png

8-ball.afdesign Floral Vector Art5.afdesign Bugs Bunny1.afdesign Daffy Duck Pointing.afdesign Rich Bday 2023.afpub

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

All I can suggest is exporting to a PDF and Printing from a PDF viewer. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate the suggestion.

I already tried that with the same exact result. The Publisher file with the placed PNG prints perfectly from Publisher or from PDF. The Publisher file with the placed 80-ball afdesign file prints screwy from Publisher or PDF (PDF printed from Acrobat or Apple Preview).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Lee.