You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using CMD key to bring up "Move" tool

When editing inside a text box in Illustrator I simply used my left thumb on the CMD key to change the cursor to Illustrator's "select" tool, and when I lifted my thumb I could go back to text editing. As far as I can see (and I may be wrong) the only way I can get from inside a text box back to then "move" or 'node" tools is to go to the screen and choose it from the toolbox. Otherwise I have typed my shortcut in the text box. Is this correct?

I am no expert, but I am guessing the short answer is yes. But the bounding box around the text you can resize, skew, move, or rotate the text box to mention a few. I cannot see using the node tool unless you convert the fonts to curves first, but I could be wrong.

But if you are looking to move, resize, skew, rotate your text box, you don't need to go out of the tool. You just move your pointer to the appropriate line, node, or adjustment handle and your icon will change. Then just press and drag to accomplish the task.

If I did not understand your request, I apologize in advance.

Madame, the OP is referring to an Illustrator keyboard toggle that will change the cursor to the move tool while that key is depressed, and return directly to the text tool when released (this is done instead of switching between tools). The need for a keyboard toggle is irrelevant, as explained by crabtrem, because the cursor only needs to be moved to the bounding box in order to change to the move tool, and after repositioning, the cursor will go back to text when moved inside the text box.

Thanks to all. Yes, Asha, you have stated it much better than I did. It is simply a toggle. Another nice feature in Illustrator is that once I toggle to the Select tool and click on the screen, I remain in the Select tool This is a great help in editing instead of going back to the toolbox each time as in AD to get the Move tool. 

But you don't have to keep going back to select the move tool in the text box.  All you have to do is move your cursor over the bounding box of the text and your icon will automatically turn into a move tool (designated by a cross of two perpendicular arrow lines).

I've tried that, crabtrem, but I don't get the Move tool. Of course, there are all kinds of options that I use all the time (rotate, resize, etc.), but I do not see the Move tool. I've tried every combo of modifier keys and explored every possibility I can imagine, but the actual Move tool no direct way to get to the Move tool I have found that when using the Frame Text tool I can click outside the text frame which shows me the symbol for the Frame Text tool. At that point I can use my Move tool shortcut to bring up that tool. This is okay, but I wish there were a way to go from editing inside a text directly to the Move tool without the intermediate step. As I have said elsewhere, a simply pressing the CMD key could change the Frame Text tool to temporarily show the Move tool, and then another click could keep me on the Move tool, even when I let up the CMD key. Here's hoping AD is listening since this quick interchange of tools could speed up editing, at least for me. 

I've tried that, crabtrem, but I don't get the Move tool. Of course, there are all kinds of options that I use all the time (rotate, resize, etc.), but I do not see the Move tool. I've tried every combo of modifier keys and explored every possibility I can imagine, but the actual Move tool no direct way to get to the Move tool I have found that when using the Frame Text tool I can click outside the text frame which shows me the symbol for the Frame Text tool.

You do not need to use any keys, modifier or otherwise, or click on anything. Just move the cursor onto any edge of the text bounding box & it will turn into a four way arrow, indicating that you can click & drag there to move the text frame around on the document. This is very similar to how it changes into a two headed arrow over the side & top handles or into a curved double-headed arrow over the rotate handle.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R: What you say  is correct and clear when editing, but this does not get me back to the Home tool. I do not want to edit the text box but only bring up the Home tool (the solid arrow, to left in the tools panel).

cratrem: I just saw you attachment and would very much like to see it, but it does not appear to be active any more. Perhaps they become inactive after a day or so. Could you send it again, or tell me how I can get to it from your former post. Many thanks!

R C-R: What you say  is correct and clear when editing, but this does not get me back to the Home tool. I do not want to edit the text box but only bring up the Home tool (the solid arrow, to left in the tools panel).

At this point I am more than a little confused. What exactly is it that you want to do by temporarily toggling to the "home" (Move) tool while retaining the ability to toggle back into text entry mode? Like crabtrem said, you can do everything the Move tool would do to the text by moving the pointer to the bounding box around it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Jim, I agree that there is no way to switch to the Move tool temporarily. What I don't understand is why you need to, given that you can do everything the Move tool does with the Text tool by using the object's border handles.

If you want to leave the Text tool permanently, then I agree we need better ways to do that. The usual V shortcut does not work when you have a text caret. In the 1.5 beta we will experiment with using double-click on the canvas to switch to the Move tool.

Many thanks, Dave, for confirming what I suspected all along. There are so many great features in AD that I do not want to complain, but I do hope that the 1.5 beta will offer a solution.

To both you and crabtrem, in the past I have used all of the available options for editing a text box (as you showed in your video, crrabtream---and many thanks!), but the issue is that after editing an actual texts (only done *inside* the text string itself) there is not way either to temporarily or permanently to go to the Move tool with all of its options. Thanks again, Dave, for your post. 

I would add that compared to my constant crashes in large files in Illustrator, it is a breeze to use AD with small or very large files. Please pass on my appreciation to all those working to make AD even better. 

Thanks.

Also worth noting is that when you editing text with a text caret, you can hit Escape to get rid of it. Then you are still in the Text tool, but no longer doing text entry, so short-cut keys like V work, and the arrow keys nudge rather than move the cursor. Use Return to continue editing text. So this is a keyboard-only approach which might help you.

Thanks.

Also worth noting is that when you editing text with a text caret, you can hit Escape to get rid of it. Then you are still in the Text tool, but no longer doing text entry, so short-cut keys like V work, and the arrow keys nudge rather than move the cursor. Use Return to continue editing text. So this is a keyboard-only approach which might help you.

I had to press the T key to get back to a text cursor before hitting Return for it to work?  

Return should work if you are in the Text tool but not in text edit mode. It sounds like you hit Escape a second time, which switches to the Move tool.

I may have?  I thought I was pretty careful, but I was tired.  I was in the text box.  I hit Esc (once).  I then hit the V key to switch to the Move tool.  I then hit return, and got a, I can't do that sound.  But, when I hit the T key, I got the artistic text cursor back, and then hit return to get my text marker back.  The point was to go to the Move tool, right?  I may have hit the esc key twice though.  I will have to redo my steps again. Thanks.

Thanks! This is a bit clumsy but it works, i.e., Escape and then V. A one keystroke to the Move tool would be easier, and hopefully will emerge in the future.

BTW, I use S, D and C respectively for Move, Note and Pen from my Illustrator days since it keeps my hand conveniently in the same place. T does take me back inside the text, but a double hit on Escape does not. I'll keep trying combos.

"A one keystroke to the Move tool would be easier, and hopefully will emerge in the future."

The obvious problem with implementing a one keystroke 'escape' from text entry mode is it can't be any key that is already used to enter text, since that must be interpreted as entered text. That doesn't leave very many keys on typical keyboards to choose from, particularly when you consider the various text entry methods OS X provides for entering special characters & for keyboard Accessibility aids like "Sticky Keys" & "Slow Keys."

I use an Apple Extended Keyboard with 19 function keys, but even most of them are already dedicated to some function that I can't change or don't want to give up, & besides that they are the farthest from the home position, making them less than ideal for frequent use. (I'm still looking for a good replacement for the awkward shift F6 feathering shortcut for that reason.)

Affinity Photo