You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colouring grayscale or 1 bit-tiffs in AFPub ...

Hello out there,
I would be *very* sorry, if that question is already sufficiently solved/answered. But I do only find the same *question*/feature request:

How do I colour grayscale tiffs or 1-bit (= b&w) tiffs in AFPub?

For professional designers this seems to me a rather vital feature:

creating a picture frame
inserting a grayscale/1-bit tif in that frame
activating the *frame* –> allocating the *background*/frame a certain colour (e.g. red)
activating the *picture* –> allocation the picture/content an other colour (e.g. yellow)
voilà! You have a two colour logo or even more, by working with gradients, a colourful result!

the same to 1-bit/b&w-pictures ("bitmaps"):
Every black&white tiff has a *transparent* (because "white") background
every black pixel in a b&w (1-bit) tif can be allocated any colour.
voilà!

:-)))

Is there a tutorial for it?

I would be very pleased, if that *very important* feature has been realized in AFPub since the first question for it in 2018!

Best wishes to your for 2023!
Johannes

40 minutes ago, jweitzel said:

this seems to me a rather vital feature:

creating a picture frame
inserting a grayscale/1-bit tif in that frame
activating the *frame* –> allocating the *background*/frame a certain colour (e.g. red)
activating the *picture* –> allocation the picture/content an other colour (e.g. yellow)
voilà!

Is your recipe not working for you?

673610675_grayscaleimgcolourized.jpg.94b4cb5f890333d366194deeb9304999.jpg

157537600_grayscaleimgcolourized2.jpg.3c95f0d09e3987240a50db6cac1788f6.jpg

1-bit images don't 'exist' in Affinity, they get treated as RGB / Grayscale.
In a CMYK document you have the button "K Only" which enables you to colourize RGB images the same way.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, jweitzel said:

the same to 1-bit/b&w-pictures ("bitmaps"):
Every black&white tiff has a *transparent* (because "white") background
every black pixel in a b&w (1-bit) tif can be allocated any colour.
voilà!

Since Affinity doesn't interpret white as transparent a workaround could use the Blend Options to mask white in the image and thus show the background colour assigned to the picture frame:

1326957488_grayscaleimgcolourized3.thumb.jpg.788b233eb0c5d42d7d9ee55fa1b75a66.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello Thomaso,

thanks a lot from Müllheim to Cologne ;-) for your helpful answers! For I didn't post 2018 that same question, I got to know that "problem" only via search, not by following that thread. This aspect or problem of colouring grayscale/b&w tifs in Affinity seems rather common.

For I do not understand exactly the succesion of steps to colourize grayscale tifs, my question: Is there somewhere a tutorial or help in learning so? As much as I had been familiar with the Adobe softwares, all that knowledge is now a *trap* in getting familiar with the Affinity Suite. One is always "thinking in InDesign" – and this is exactly the wrong way in trying it. (The same in coming from years with Aldus Freehand. Confronted with Illustrator, I never got warm with it, I never looked through the "strange" approach of the programmers of Illustrator).

Best wishes and thanks!
Johannes

As a workaround you may try wrapping your 1-bit file in a pdf first so it remains untouched by Affinity.

– Open your 1-bit file in Designer. Change to grey/8 with profile Black & White.

– Export to pdf using settings ‘Use document profile’ and uncheck ‘Embed profiles’.

– Place this pdf in a new Designer/Publisher file as ‘Passthrough’. Set Opacity to Screen.

– Place a rectangle or other shape with desired colour below the placed pdf. The black in the placed file will take the colour of the shape below.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2