You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie - Need Help Aligning Outside Stroke to Multiple Text Layers (Creating Stickers) on Affinity Designer 2

I am newbie to everything design that also includes photoshop/indesign. I'm not if I used the correct words.

I want create a sticker with separate text layers with a black fill behind it like this:

image.png.d0ab325607c209166209ae5847f4ef87.png

but aligning stroke to outside and increasing the width to the text give me this result:

image.png.88f69bec3e1cd8addf5a458f603c35bb.png

So far the work around for me has been duplicating this above and changing the fill to black

image.png.3fe0c04c9823bdefabd641a3e3236974.png

and then send it behind the original text, that is

image.png.7f931fb7b7d7200086abee2d7ca8ec06.png

to create this effect

Is there a way around this without combining the two text layers?

I know that that is the easiest solution but I like working with multiple text layers.  I have attached the document. 

I tried the contour tool but AD kept crashing, so I can't use that. 

Thanks.

Testing This.afdesign

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

One thing you could try is to Group the Artistic Text layers and then add an Outline Quick Effect to the Group – see attached image.

image.thumb.png.a59ec8a938483dba43b33bb748a76d32.png

Oh, thank you so much, you have saved me a ton of manual work!

I have to export the original image without the outline AND the image with the outline in the export persona, so do I duplicate the original image and then outline the duplicate and then export? 

Is this the only way or there is an easier way?

You’re welcome.

Duplication is probably the easiest way to do what you want, unless I’ve misunderstood the requirements you’ve given so far.
If you can explain why you need the two separate things then there might be a better way.

Note: Quick Effects cause the things that they are applied to to be rasterised upon export, no matter which export file type is used.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You’re welcome.

Duplication is probably the easiest way to do what you want, unless I’ve misunderstood the requirements you’ve given so far.
If you can explain why you need the two separate things then there might be a better way.

Note: Quick Effects cause the things that they are applied to to be rasterised upon export, no matter which export file type is used.

I'm designing for stickers, that is,  transparent sticker and stickers with a black fill as the background.

So I need both files attached as a PNG to upload.

So duplication is it. 

image.png.7f931fb7b7d7200086abee2d7ca8ec06.png

I have no experience in designing/printing stickers so I don’t know the processes involved.

Edit: Actually, now that my memory has kicked-in, I did used to design lots of labels for machines (ratings labels, facia labels, etc.), and they’re quite like stickers, but that was decades ago, and it was all vector stuff, in Corel Draw, and it was an almost-daily occurrence. Weird what you forget.

There might be a better way to do this using Layer States in Photo but I’ve not used them myself other than some quick experiments which didn’t work too well (which was probably my fault for not understanding them properly).

Edited by GarryP
Added clarification.

Make your Text, use just the one Text frame to start with, you can use line returns/pragraph returns in the Art Text.

Duplicate that text and turn off the Topmost text layer.

Select all the text in the lower layer and convert it to curves (you will get a Group). Use the geometry to Add everything inside the group. Move that new Curves layer out of the group.

Add your Stroke to Curves layer which you have just made. When you are happy with the width choose to Expand the Stroke. Again Add everything.

Now you have your top layer of text, turn it back to visible and select it and select the lower Curves layer. Subtract the text layer from the lower Expanded Stroke which was added to the Curves items.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.