You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity hangs during slice export

Sveto123

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:28 AM, Eric Francois said:

I just joined the beta program and tested Designer 2.1 beta … the bug is now fixed and I can properly export slices again! 🥳

Thats sweet but I'm not in Beta program and this issue is dragging for years. 
Today even restart didn't help and I'm F stuck instead of deploying client's assets. 

IT IS MARCH 21st 2023 FFS. This should be priority as this bug is making AFD useless. 

7 minutes ago, MisUszatek said:

Thats sweet but I'm not in Beta program and this issue is dragging for years.

As far as I can see, the beta program is available to anyone who has a V2 license. Since discovering this, I have used V2.1 beta for my production work since it does fix those critical bugs that have been in there for far too long, as you aptly point out. Here is the link, I hope this helps you:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

4 minutes ago, MisUszatek said:

As far as I can see - not on the list, but I will try and hope that Beta will not broke anything else

Indeed, I do not see it in the list, but I tested the same file in both 2.0 retail and 2.1 beta and I could export in 2.1 beta and not in 2.0 … Also, the beta installed alongside the 2.0, so you don't risk 2.1 breaking anything else. You'll have access to both versions.

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Eric Francois said:

but I tested the same file in both 2.0 retail and 2.1 beta and I could export in 2.1 beta and not in 2.0 … Also, the beta installed alongside the 2.0, so you don't risk 2.1 breaking anything else. You'll have access to both versions

Oh, that is surprising. I will have the issue resteted internally to see whether fixing another issue has addressed this as well. If anyone else wants to sign up to the beta (Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!) then I would be very grateful for any other confirmations of the beta behaviour for you, whether it is fixed or not, and in doing so whether your Affinity Designer 2 software was purchased from the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Eric Francois said:

but I tested the same file in both 2.0 retail and 2.1 beta

Is your 2.0 Retail from the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store please?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is your 2.0 Retail from the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store please?

Yes, 2.0 is from App Store, so it's 2.0.4 at the moment. Funny enough I cannot reproduce the crash anymore with the very same file, even on the retail version. Of course, I am not sure if it was already 2.0.4 when I tried it the last time, since the App Store automatically updates apps without my knowledge.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Eric Francois said:

Yes, 2.0 is from App Store, so it's 2.0.4 at the moment. Funny enough I cannot reproduce the crash anymore with the very same file, even on the retail version. Of course, I am not sure if it was already 2.0.4 when I tried it the last time, since the App Store automatically updates apps without my knowledge.

We have never been able to reliably replicate this ourselves, and we did wonder if a patch to Ventura would fix this without us doing anything.

Can you confirm the version of macOS you are using?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have never been able to reliably replicate this ourselves, and we did wonder if a patch to Ventura would fix this without us doing anything.

Can you confirm the version of macOS you are using?

Ah, that could of course be the case, as I always update the OS as soon as there is a new package (no beta version, only releases). My current OS version is 13.2.1 (22D68).

• Staff
18 minutes ago, MisUszatek said:

What now ?

Please try again (it may be a firewall issue, so check that). If you are still not able to start the beta, please make a new thread or email Affinity@serif.com

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I'm having this problem, too. It just started this morning - was working fine yesterday :/

The current Affinity Designer 2 app version (downloaded from Affinity's web site) crashes at the Save dialog every time I try to export a slice. I've deleted the app, reinstalled it, restarted, etc. Still does the same thing. I've tried this from different files, too. Always hangs. 

I'm on the current release of Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68) running on a Mac Studio.

59 minutes ago, Osric said:

I'm having this problem, too. It just started this morning - was working fine yesterday :/

The current Affinity Designer 2 app version (downloaded from Affinity's web site) crashes at the Save dialog every time I try to export a slice. I've deleted the app, reinstalled it, restarted, etc. Still does the same thing. I've tried this from different files, too. Always hangs. 

I'm on the current release of Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68) running on a Mac Studio.

I joined the beta program - and the beta version (2.1.0.1732) doesn't crash when exporting. Hopefully the next release version will fix this.

I work primarily with files stored on Dropbox (v172.2.1385) and I use Default Folder (Version 5.7.4 (5640)) to automatically bring me back to the current folder I've been working in. No idea if one of those was causing the crash at the Save dialog.

Edited by Osric

• Staff

@Osric

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums :) 

We have only recently found a "reliable" recipe that meant we could make this happen (most of the time) . We know it is still possible to hang with the current beta, but now we have a way to reproduce (like so many of our customers) we are hopeful we can fine the cause and fix it before 2.1.0 is released. The export Folder and source file location seems to be relevant to this, which may explain why the beta is not crashing for you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor

Thanks for replying !

This bug is known for a very long time and was already present in V1. There are multiple threads about it and you're the first Serif member that I see talking about it.

Could you tell us more about what you've found and how you were able to reproduce this bug. You're saying it is related to the export folder and the source file location. Could you tell us what causes this bug so we can avoid being in this situation while you're working on patching the bug ?

Thanks !

Ok so until now the workaround I was using to be able to export slices was to export them separatly and not use the "Export slices" button.

But now Affinity Designer 2 can't even export a single slice. So I'm stuck now, I cannot export the slice I want.

Pleeeeaaaaase do something. I can help you if you need, I can provide a crash report or anything you need.

• Staff

Hi @jubarbie,

On 3/29/2023 at 10:10 AM, jubarbie said:

Could you tell us more about what you've found and how you were able to reproduce this bug. You're saying it is related to the export folder and the source file location. Could you tell us what causes this bug so we can avoid being in this situation while you're working on patching the bug ?

These are the main triggers we have have been able to replicate the issue with:

1: Saving the document whilst in Export Persona, closing, reopening and then attempting to export.

2: Having the source document in the same folder that Export Slices is going into.

3) Having the Save dialog in List View can also trigger the lock up.

So if you are exporting your slices to the same folder as your source document, try changing the folder and see if you can export the slices then.

Could also confirm you are running MacOS Monterey or Ventura, as we haven't been able to replicate the issue on any other versions of MacOS just yet. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Export Persona hang in Open and Save Panel Process when Exporting Slices" (REF: AFD-5921) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, jubarbie said:

Ok so until now the workaround I was using to be able to export slices was to export them separatly and not use the "Export slices" button.

But now Affinity Designer 2 can't even export a single slice. So I'm stuck now, I cannot export the slice I want.

Pleeeeaaaaase do something. I can help you if you need, I can provide a crash report or anything you need.

Currently having the same issue..keeps hanging when trying to export