You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saved files show no preview, just Affinity Designer icon

I'm trying AD again for the first time in a long time and when I save a file, I don't get to see the file preview image, I simply see the AD icon. Is this a bug, or is there a setting I can choose to show a thumbnail of the file rather than the AD icon?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

I'm not expert, and don't represent Affinity. But my guess is that its your version of OS X 10.9.5.  My finder with OS X 10.4.3 shows thumbnails find for both Affinity Photo and Designer files.

I updated my signature. I'm using the latest OS X version as well as the latest AD version. I'm going to run Cocktail and clear out any junk that may be preventing AD thumbs from showing as the icon.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

Good luck. I don't know what else to say or suggest. Just that I went through all the different file display modes in Finder, and they all showed thumbnails.  Have you tried resaving an AD file with the latest version? Not that it should make a difference, but I cannot think of anything else.

I just ran Cocktail and when I restarted I could see the proper file previews as the icon. Some cache or junk must have built up. All is as it should be now. Thanks for trying to help. I usually run Cocktail weekly, but haven't gotten around to it. It always manages to clear up strange happenings :)

i run affinity photo under osx 10.9.5 and the file icons in the finder do show previews.

from the image you attached, i guess the folder where you put the files is part of a dropbox tree.

dropbox modifies icons to reflect the current state of the upload. could the issue be related to dropbox?

that said, i've tried on my own mac and i have icons with preview even in the dropbox tree.

the only thing i can think of is that for that particular folder you don't have the preview enabled. i have seen that it can be set on a by-folder basis.

take care,

stefano

the only thing i can think of is that for that particular folder you don't have the preview enabled. i have seen that it can be set on a by-folder basis.

That's my guess for why the previews often do not show up. That can be set on a per folder basis in the View Options window, which can be opened with the keyboard shortcut Command + J, from the Finder View menu item, or from the Action icon in the Finder toolbar if it is enabled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Just trying out Affinity Photo as alternative to Photoshop. Images don't have image preview which makes it useless to use. On latest version 10.11.3. See same picture in folder see pic attached.

Also would like to find app that would replace PS Save for web function. I use this a lot, but can't see anything similar in AP.

• Staff

Hi bknewhaven,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Both afdesign and afphoto files have previews. Do you have previews enabled?

In Finder, go to menu View ▸ Show View Options and make sure Show Icon preview is checked

The closet feature in Affinity for Save for web function is the Export Persona, (the fourth icon right below the traffic lights), however it still doesn't do previews and a few other things. This will be improved in a future version.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Started using AP today, and find it exciting. There will be a learning curve of course; for starters, like other players have mentioned here, I also have this issue with the AFPhoto files not showing as preview icons, although the Finder settings are adequate and all other files and formats on my computer do show preview icons.

Any new tips?

( I'll address my other issue in another, more specific forum thread)

• Staff

Hi ekoh dubois,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Finder, go to menu View ▸ Show View Options and make sure Show Icon preview is checked.

Then, set the .afphoto file to Preview (Open with section in Get Info when you right-click an afphoto file in Finder) then click Change All restart the system and set it again to Affinity Photo. Does it fix the issue?

Thanks MEB,

Yes, ''Show Icon Preview'' is checked, allowing the preview of all my other icons, in any other format.

I can open any document with 'Get Info', but I don't quite understand what you mean by ''set the .afphoto file to Preview'', or what means ''Open with section''.

If you mean that, once in the Get Info menu,  I should choose Preview as the 'by default app to open .afphoto files, well I tried, and the Preview app is faded out from the list of apps, so I could not select it.

I will restart my computer anyway, just in case, and will let you know...

@ekoh dubois I suspect this is happening because you do not have "Save thumbnails with documents" checked in Affinity Photo General preferences.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
12 minutes ago, ekoh dubois said:

Thanks MEB,

Yes, ''Show Icon Preview'' is checked, allowing the preview of all my other icons, in any other format.

I can open any document with 'Get Info', but I don't quite understand what you mean by ''set the .afphoto file to Preview'', or what means ''Open with section''.

If you mean that, once in the Get Info menu,  I should choose Preview as the 'by default app to open .afphoto files, well I tried, and the Preview app is faded out from the list of apps, so I could not select it.

I will restart my computer anyway, just in case, and will let you know...

Yes, the idea is to force refresh/recreate the file association. The restart may also help.

• 3 years later...

On this topic I am curious to why when using Dropbox Smart Sync, PSD files that are not local do still show a preview while Affinity files don't.

Is this something you can fix or does it depend on Dropbox software ?

PS. I plan to move out from Dropbox for Apple iCloud now that it has a folder sharing option, but this could be quite an issue for a lot of users.