You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No inside/outside stroke for open paths 😩

22 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Its seems today nobody can understand what I post 🙉, time to take 🏖️at least from this thread.

Take it easy. I also needed a break tonight and am doing some audio editing instead. :D (apart from an e-mail notification chiming in, d'oh)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

14 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

No.

Affinity is getting it wrong for the case of overlapping curves. My role was only to point this out. But go ahead and continue to shoot the messenger.

Affinity currently does not even attempt to solve the problem under discussion - non-centred stroke alignment on an open path - so how can Affinity be doing it wrongly?

Affinity produces the correct results for non-centred stroke alignment on a closed path.

I think you've misunderstood the thread.

14 minutes ago, ,,, said:

Affinity currently does not even attempt to solve the problem under discussion - non-centred stroke alignment on an open path - so how can Affinity be doing it wrongly?

Affinity produces the correct results for non-centred stroke alignment on a closed path.

I think you've misunderstood the thread.

My comment was a reply to an older post from loukash stating inside/outside stroke is as simple as making 1/2 size centred. I answered that it is far more complex, and gave an mockup how it could look, and what complexities arise, but fall short to give a full explanation.

You have now taken my post so much out of context that it really makes no sense to continue the discussion. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@N.P.M. Which is the curve you drew and which is the inside/outside line? I am guessing the line you drew is the thin one with the result being the thick one. Am I correct?

Regardless, yes the result is "double plus ungood", or "crappy" in the vernacular. Neither is what I would expect or want.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

I used the offset to the curve in an extreme way and it gave the crap shown in my previous post.

It works incredibly well on 95% of all case uses but you’re only focused on the extreme? This is a common way you'd use the feature? Lol. Affinity does not even  attempt to include it at all because of its complexity, but you so easily dismiss the implementation of the feature in Vectorstyler  because only under extreme conditions, it's imperfect?
That does not seem realistic or fair.

you did not include the source file here with history enabled for us to investigate or replicate the problem. I'm not sure even how you accomplished the issue honestly. What's amazing to me is that if you were to submit this Vectorstyler file on the forum there, the developer would have a fix for it in a few weeks if not days. 

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

Life isn't fair, deal with it.

Pure comedy - I love it. thank you for the laugh today. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get to the local offroad track to see if my average little commuter car can handle the extreme curves and jumps, mud and uneven terrain that specially-modified vehicles including SUVs, trucks, motorbikes, quadbikes and buggies can handle with ease. if it fails once I'm going to sue the car manufacturer. 

On 1/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, N.P.M. said:

And crappy it looks

image.png.71906100fa9a9f0431be62336722cf98.png

image.png.24f054169d00f466dbab8c4fca4f4135.png

Regards,

Vectorstyler

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Just had two ideas how to create inside/outside aligned strokes on open curves in Affinity:

• add a fill on top of the stroke if the curve is it least "half closed" and symmetrical, set its blend mode to Erase to create transparency (the petrol green object)
  • use a custom brush with half-width solid, half transparent (the yellow and red objects)

ade_stroke_align_open_curve_workarounds.png.213f98d66b700edf47991f2f0fcc5167.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

A 100% vector method for "half-closed" curves (blue object):

1. duplicate the curve
  2. apply fill, remove stroke
  3. mask the stroke to hide the "outside" half

ade_stroke_align_open_curve_workaround_mask.png.c3c557b7f6355f0ac6a56b4d484b4213.png