You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to know if there is an easy way to fill a circle object with an image. I'm coming from Graphic (formerly iDraw), and taking a circle and filling it with an image is very easy. I've been looking but don't see an easy way to do it other than pasting in a circular image then drawing a circular border around the image.

Would love to fill a circle with the image, then stroke a line around it and done.

Thanks.

Bryan

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) // 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB // OS X 10.11.3 // Affinity Designer 1.4.1

Hi.

There's several ways. 

I do it this way.

1. Make a circle with the ellipse tool. Edit:  Then select the gradient tool.

2. Select fill>gradient>bitmap.

3. Navigate to the picture you want in the circle.

4. Position the picture in the circle.

5. Select the move tool (V)

6. Apply a stroke.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi.

There's several ways. 

I do it this way.

1. Make a circle with the ellipse tool.

2. Select fill>gradient>bitmap.

3. Navigate to the picture you want in the circle.

4. Position the picture in the circle.

5. Select the move tool (V)

6. Apply a stroke.

Sorry Madame, I do not find fill>gradient>bitmap. Can you please clarify? When I want to fill a circle with an image, I place the image into the document, draw a filled circle and use it as layer mask. Your way seems to be more straight forward, but I cannot find the bitmap option. 

I've pasted an image into a rounded rectangle, as described above, and for some reason it now appears 'faded',  like I've applied some transparency tool to it. But I haven't.  Before the image is pasted into the object, it is a full colour image. After I've pasted into the object, it appears faded. My object has no fill at all. Can anybody think why the pic is faded?

Sorry Madame, I do not find fill>gradient>bitmap. Can you please clarify? When I want to fill a circle with an image, I place the image into the document, draw a filled circle and use it as layer mask. Your way seems to be more straight forward, but I cannot find the bitmap option. 

I think the description is a little confusing.. I'll edit it.

You have to select the gradient tool. Then it's Fill>Gradient> Bitmap on the context toolbar on the left.

I'll attach a screenshot.

post-14034-0-74837400-1454845158_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi LisaE,

Can you attach the file so i can take a look?

Thanks.

@Furi0usBee

Hi Bryan,

Here's another way:

Draw you circle/ellipse and give it a stroke width with the colour you want. Make sure the image is overlapping the circle/ellipse in the canvas, then simply drag you image layer over the circle/ellipse layer in the Layers panel (don't drag it over the circle/ellipse thumbnail - drag it over the empty space on the right of the layer). If you don't release the mouse immediately, Affinity will show you a preview of what it will look like while you are dragging one layer over the other in the Layers panel.

@MEB Sorry for the delay,here is the file to look at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2457705/Faded%20Insert%20Problem%20-%20see%20Arm.afdesignSee image of the arm in the lower left. That shouldn't be faded..... thank you Happening in another file too. Also, as a work around, I tried to just bake the corner, absolute size 7mm but for some reason can't get that to work either...

Hello LisaE,

I am no expert, but I looked at your file.  You have the arm pasted inside the overall rectangle, and that is at 60% opacity.  If you bring the opacity up to 100% the picture of the arm is no longer faded.  Because you are pasted inside the rectangle on the top, the child layers will also take on properties of that object.

Hopefully I understood your problem, and was able to help.  If I didn't, I apologize in advance.  I am no expert, and only offer my personal opinions in an attempt to help.  Good Luck.

I made a video showing you what I did.  Forgive that there are no edits, and no sound. 

Here's what I did.

I open the file and identify the area of concern.

I cmd-click on that object to highlight it specifically.

I right click on it and find it in the layers.

You will see it is a child of another rectangle.

I go up to that rectangle and you can see its opacity is at 60%.

I make it 100% and your image is now clear.

Hopefully I expressed this well enough.  

Yes, Crabtrem is correct.

But be aware when you change the layer opacity to 100% your blue line will be darker than the others.

The easiest fix to get that back in line ( :) pun intended) is to then lower the stroke opacity to 60% (I think that was the number you were looking at originally).

(that picture/corner section has been done differently than the others)

• 7 years later...
On 2/7/2016 at 5:41 AM, MEB said:

Here's another way:

Draw you circle/ellipse and give it a stroke width with the colour you want. Make sure the image is overlapping the circle/ellipse in the canvas, then simply drag you image layer over the circle/ellipse layer in the Layers panel (don't drag it over the circle/ellipse thumbnail - drag it over the empty space on the right of the layer). If you don't release the mouse immediately, Affinity will show you a preview of what it will look like while you are dragging one layer over the other in the Layers panel.

Hi, I know this thread is REALLY old, but when I try the above mentioned method of filling objects with a picture I only get success some of the time. It used to work great for me then recently it seems to have stopped working and I found this thread looking for other ways to do this. I use Affinity V2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @Gideon S. It's generally not helpful to revive old threads - especially not those that are so ancient. Instead I'd suggest you start a new post with your own issue / query, and I'm sure you will get better help.

It would be especially helpful to include a video / screenshots of exactly what you are doing, as the basic technique of nesting an image inside a clipping shape should work every time.

Perhaps this guide helps?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro